following account of the Catholic Churches and Institutions of Indianapolis is
furnished for this work by the kindness of Rev. Dennis O'Donoughue, chancellor
of the diocese.
Catholic Church in Indianapolis was built in 1840 by the Rev.
Vincent Bacquelin, then residing in Shelbyville, in this State. It was
called Holy Cross Church, and was situated near West between Washington and Market
Streets. Father Bacquelin was killed by a fall from his horse, Sept. 2,
1846, in a wood near Shelbyville. His successor with the Rev. John
McDermott, who had charge of Holy Cross Church for several years. The
clergyman in charge was the Rev. Patrick J. R. Murphy, who was transferred to
another congregation in 1848.
History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana, by B. R. Sulgrove,
Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Co., 1884, page 406.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming