Shelby County, Indiana
Marcellus John Burkhart
a native of Marion county, Indiana, was born near the city of Indianapolis,
October 14, 1864, the son of John and Josephine (Barnard) Burkhart.
John Burkhart, the father of John Burkhart, Jr., was born in Davidson
county, North Carolina, in 1833, and died in 1906 on the home farm of the
subject of this sketch. He was the son of John Burkhart,
the first, who was a native of German, where he spent his young manhood on a
farm. He later learned the cooper's trade, at which he worked for some
years. He came to America with a party of young friends, on a sailing
vessel, the trip requiring six weeks. He landed in New York and
located in Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia. He remained there for some
years and was married, after which he removed to Davidson county, North
Carolina, where he engaged in farming and most successful. He owned
over four hundred acres of land which was well developed and improved.
There he died in 1847.
It was on the old
homestead in North Carolina that John Burkhart, the second, was born and
grew to manhood. At the age of twenty-one he and a party of five
friends came to Indiana in the spring of 1854. Here he worked on the
farm of Reuben Barnard, in Sugar Creek township, for a year or
so. Here he was married to Charlotte Josephine Barnard,
the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Barnard. After his marriage he
rented a farm in Marion county where he remained for two years, after which
he removed to Butler county, Ohio, where he remained for five years, after
which he came back to Indiana, locating in Shelby county and bought a farm
in Moral township. This he made his home until 1905, at which time
Mrs. Burkhart died. A short time later he made a trip to North
Carolina and on his return to Indiana he made his home with his son, John
Burkhart, in Sugar Creek township [Hancock County]. He lived here
but a few months when he died at the home of his son. To John Burkhart
and wife were born seven children, five boys and two girls: John,
the subject of this sketch; Charles, Unice,
deceased, the wife of C. E. Crum; Adrin,
Ernest, Edna, wife of J. E. Barcus, of Indianapolis,
John Burkhart was two
years of age when his parents went to Butler county, Ohio, and at the age of
seven years moved with his parents to Moral township, Shelby county, where
he grew to young manhood. There he attended the home schools and later
the Danville Normal after which he taught school in his home township for
eight months. After completing his term of school he engaged in
farming on a rented farm in the township. He continued to farm in the
neighborhood for some five years.
On March 16, 1898,
John Burkhart was married to Maggie B. Murnan, who was born in
Sugar Creek township [Hancock County] on January 11, 1881. She was the
daughter of George and Matilda (Hutchinson) Murnan, both
of whom were pioneers in the locality. Her grandfather, Jacob
Murnan, entered the land on which is now situated the Crown Point
cemetery and of which John Burkhart is at present the secretary.
George Murnan was a prosperous farmer and died near where he was born in the
townshp. His death occurred in 1905, his wife surviving him four
George and Matilda
Murnan were the parents of eight children, only four of whom lived to the
age of maturity: Amanda, deceased, the wife of E. O.
Brandenburg; Jane, the wife of J. C. Brandenburg;
Maggie B., the wife of John Burkhart; and Mollie,
the wife of Fritz Rogers.
After his marriage,
John Burkhart farmed in Shelby county for three years after which he located
in Sugar Creek township [Hancock County] and two years later bought one
hundred and fifteen acres of land, known as the Kaspari
farm. Five years later he bought forty acres of the Murnan homestead
adjoining the land belonging to Mrs. Burkhart. Mr. and Mrs. Burkhart
now own two hundred and forty acres of well improved and well cultivated
land. John Burkhart and wife are the parents of two children: Matilda
Josephine, who was born on March 25, 1899, and John Barnard
Burkhart, born on July 19, 1915.
John Burkhart owes
much of his prosperity to his success in the raising of corn and hogs.
He usually cultivates sixty to seventy acres of corn on the home place,
which yields on the average fifty bushels to the acre. He also raises
about fifty acres of small grain. He generally markets one hundred and
fifty head of hogs and ten head of cattle each year, he also has on hand
about twenty head of fine Herefords and twelve head of Belgian draft horses,
besides many good sheep.
Mr. Burkhart attends
the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a supporter, and to which his
wife and daughter belong. Mr. Burkhart is s member of the Free and
Accepted Mason, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythais, Red
Men and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a past chancellor of the
Knights of Pythias and a past sachem of the Red Men. Politically, Mr.
Burkhart is a Democrat and served as trustee of his township from 1908 to
1914. He is well known and highly respected, being a man of high
ideals and excellent judgment.
History of Hancock County, Indiana: Its People, Industries and
Institutions, George J. Richman, B. L., 1916, Federal Publishing Co.,
Inc., Indianapolis, pages 1070-1072
For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index