|| George W. Clarke was born in Shelby county, Indiana, October 24, 1852.
father, John Clarke, was born in Warren county, Ohio, and his mother, Eliza J.
Akers, was born in Floyd county, Indiana. They removed from Shelby county,
Indiana, to Davis county, Iowa, in 1856, and settled on a farm near Drakeville,
where they still live. Here also lived with them and worked on the farm their
son until he was twenty-two years of age. In the winter he had taught school in
the country and in Drakeville and later he taught in Bloomfield. He acquired his
education at Oskaloosa College, Oskaloosa, Iowa, from which institution he was
graduated in 1877. Immediately after, he entered the law office of Lafferty
& Johnson, at Oskaloosa. After studying there for a time he entered the law
department of the State University of Iowa and was graduated in 1878. In the
same year he came to Adel, in Dallas county, Iowa, was married to Miss Arletta
Greene and opened an office for the practice of law. A few years after he formed
a partnership with J. B. White, under the firm name of White &
firm is still in existence and is yet engaged in the practice of the law, as it
always has been, at Adel.|
During his first four years at Adel Mr. Clarke held the office of justice of
the peace. He held no other office until he was elected to represent Dallas
county in the legislature in the twenty-eighth general assembly, meeting in
January, 1900. He was re-elected to the twenty-ninth, thirtieth and thirty-first
general assemblies and in the last two was chosen speaker of the house, both
times without opposition, republicans and democrats alike voting for him.