Evans was born in Indiana County, Pa., in 1798. He married
Margaret Elliott in Butler County, Ohio, in 1820, and they moved
from Ohio in August, 1823, and settled on the farm on John Smock,
on the east side of the Madison road, south of Pleasant Run. Being a
brick-moulder and layer, he took the job of building a brick house for John
Smock, the first brick house ever built on the Madison road south of the
city. It was finished in 1824. In the same year he bought land on
the south side of Lick Creek, a quarter of a mile west of where the Shelby pike
crossed the creek. He remained there fifteen years, then moved to Sugar
Creek, in Shelby County, adjoining Johnson County. After living on his
farm for many years he moved to Indianapolis, where he died, Dec. 15,
1872. His wife survived him eleven years, and died in the city, Dec. 5,
1883. When Mr. and Mrs. Evans came to the county, in 1823, they had two
children. They afterwards had born to them ten children, five of whom died
in infancy, and seven lived to maturity, --- Sarah, Andrew
E., Thomas, Mary, Eliza, Rhoda, and Ann.
The first-named two died after marriage; five are now living. Thomas, who
was the first born after they came to this county, is now living in the city,
one of the most popular and ministers in the United Brethren Church. Mr.
and Mrs. Evans joined the Lick Creek Baptist Church at its organization in 1826,
at the house of David Fisher. They were a very exemplary
couple, lived a blameless and upright life. Their family followed in their
footsteps. At Mrs. Evans' death, Dec. 5, 1883, she had been a faithful and
true follower of the Lord over sixty years.
History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana, by B. R. Sulgrove, Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Co., 1884, page 586.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming