Fisher came to Perry in 1825, and settled on the east side of the
township. He was married to Elizabeth M. Hodges in the
State of Kentucky, moved to Shelby County, Ind., and thence to Marion. He
started the first tan-yard in Perry township. It was at his house that the
Lick Creek Baptist Church was organized in the spring of 1826. He was an
enterprising pioneer, and did his part to advance the moral and material
interests of the neighborhood. He always took a strong stand on the side
of law, good order, and religion. He had a large family, consisting of
four sons and five daughters, in the following order: John P.,
James W., Cynthia, Mary J., Benjamin L., Elizabeth
R., Matilda, Joseph L., and Sarah E. Fisher.
They all lived to maturity, except one daughter. They are now scattered
from Indiana to Western Kansas, only tow living in this county, --- one daughter
and Joseph L. Fisher, of Indianapolis. David Fisher
died in 1836. His wife survived him four years.
History of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana, by B. R. Sulgrove,
Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & Co., 1884, page 588.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming