Zachariah  Hulsopple


          Zachariah Hulsopple, a prominent citizen of Brandywine Township, was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., May 23, 1830.  He was the third of eight children, four sons and four daughters, born to  Zachariah and  Betsey (Curtiss) Hulsopple,  the former of whom was born in the State of New York July 3, 1806, and died in this county September 24, 1884.  His mother died in Herkimer County, N. Y., June 28, 1837.  His three brothers were:  George W., born February 28, 1829, died March 7, 1882;  Henry, born December II, 1831, died May 8, 1861, and  Curtiss, born June 25, 1837, died February 1, 1866.  His four sisters were:  Maria, born February 4, 1827, died May 1, 1858;  Catharine, born August 1, 1833, died in 1864;  Betsey, born October 19, 1834, died October 23, 1834, and  Elizabeth, born September 6, 1835, died May 14, 1838.  As will be observed by this record, the subject of this sketch is the only member of the family now living.  He was reared upon a farm in his native county.  His mother died when he was seven years old, after which he was taken in charge by  John Hadley,  a farmer and dairyman of Herkimer County, with whom he remained until he was twenty-one years of age.  Following this, he worked upon a farm by the month one year.  By this time he had made up his mind to join the throng that was then flocking to California, but owing to a financial disappointment he was compelled to abandon that notion, and in the fall of 1852, he went to Trenton, N. J., whither he had been recommended to a position as an overseer in the State Insane Asylum of that place.  He reached his destination on the 29th day of September, and immediately entered upon the discharge of his duties.  He continued in that capacity for about three years and three months, or until January 7, 1856.  He immediately started for Shelbyville, this county, where he arrived four days later, or on January 11, 1856.  Here he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law,  Armherst Harwood,  in the dairy business, which they conducted in Addison Township during one summer.  December 24, 1856, he was married to  Milissa Snyder, a native of Brandywine Township, this county, born October 13, 1834.  She was the eldest of four children, two sons and two daughters, born to  Albert and  Betsey Elizabeth (Landingham) Snyder,  natives of Ohio and Kentucky, respectively.  The two brothers of  Mrs. Hulsopple are  John W., born April 26, 1846, and  Warren W., born August 18, 1848.  Her sister is  Sarah E., born October 18, 1842, now  Mrs. Springer, of Addison Township.  Immediately after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hulsopple located upon a farm in Addison Township, in which they continued to reside until December 3, 1873, when they removed to Brandywine Township, and located where they now live.  They have had two children a daughter born December 17, 1857, died in infancy, unnamed, and  Flora C., born March 23, 1859, married to  Levi V. Mann, August 21, 1879, with whom she has had three children, a daughter, born June 3, 1881, died in infancy, unnamed;  Harry L., born August 22, 1883, and  Albert Z., born April 8, 1887.  Mr. and Mrs. Hulsopple are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  In politics the former is a Democrat.  He owns sixty-two acres of first class land, nearly all of which is in a good state of cultivation.  He is an intelligent man, an industrious and successful farmer, and he and wife are worthy and esteemed citizens.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887, pp 618-19, "Brandywine Sketches".
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Biography Index       Main Page