Shelby County, Indiana
Cyrus E. Inlow, one of Rush county's best known and most substantial farmers and stockmen, was born in the village of Manilla, where he still resides, and has lived there all his life. He was born on February 18, 1863, son of Dr. John J. and Mary A. (Mull) Inlow, the latter of whom was a daughter of Jacob Mull, a Virginian and one of the pioneers of Walker township, further mention of whom, together with a comprehensive story of the Mull family in this county, is set out elsewhere in this volume.
The late Dr. John J. Inlow, who for many years was a practicing physician at Manilla, was a Kentuckian, born in Fleming county in the Blue Grass state, February 13, 1826, son of Abraham and Sophia (Bell) Inlow, the latter of whom, a native of Lewis county, Kentucky, died in 1828, and the former of whom also was born in Fleming county, Kentucky July 18, 1802, of Welsh descent, his parents having been among the pioneers of that county.
After the death of his first wife Abraham Inlow married Mary Payne and by that union was the father of six children, Jane, Samuel, Thomas, Joseph, Lucy and Octave. John J. Inlow was but two years of age when his mother died and he was reared in the family of his paternal grandfather, James Inlow.
He finished his local schooling at the Flemingsburg Academy and when twenty years of age, in 1846, began the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. E. O. Bell at Flemingsburg following this by a course in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati and in the spring of 1849 began the practice of medicine at Martha Mills, a village in his home county in Kentucky.
In 1851 Dr. John J. Inlow left that place and came to Indiana, locating at Manilla in this county, where he bought the practice of Dr. J. W. Trees and became a settled physician of this county. Doctor Inlow had a realizing sense of land values and in time became the owner of about 600 acres of land in the eastern part of Shelby county and in the western part of this county, a considerable tract of which adjoined the village of Manilla.
On June 28, 1853, about two years after coming to this county Dr. John J. Inlow married Mary A. Mull, who was born in this county, April 28, 1831, a member of one of the pioneer families of Walker township, as noted above, and to this union were born nine children, six daughters and three sons, all of whom grew to maturity save three of the daughters, those besides the subject of this sketch being Emma S., born in 1854, who married Nathan F. Talbott and moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee, in 1878; two infant daughters who died unnamed; William E., 1859; Katie, 1861, who died in 1862; Lida J., 1865, who married Louis J. Kauffman in 1884 and moved to Columbus, Indiana; Charles, 1867, and Lucy J., 1870, of Rushville.
Cyrus E. Inlow was reared at Manilla and early began to give his attention to his father's farming interests, giving particular attention to the live stock business, making a specialty of trading in horses and mules, for which at that time there was an excellent market hereabout, and has continued thus engaged, making his home in Manilla and at the same time operating the old home place of 250 acres in Walker township which he owns jointly with his sister, Lucy J., and he has done very well in his operations, long having been regarded as one of the progressive and substantial citizens of that thriving community. Mr. Inlow also owns a tract of land near Indianapolis and has a farm in Kansas.
On March 1, 1889, Cyrus E. Inlow was united in marriage to Alice Haehl, who also was born in this county, daughter of John M. and Sarah (Headley) Haehl, who were the parents of six children, three of whom survive, those besides Mrs. Inlow being Fred Haehl and her sister Corda. Mr. and Mrs. Inlow have four children, three sons and a daughter, William D., Charles F., Herbert and Alaelie, the latter of whom married Alonzo Sheedy, a farmer of the Manilla neighborhood, and has one child, a son, William.
All three of the Inlow brothers have followed in the footsteps of their grandfather, Dr. John J. Inlow, in their inclination toward the medical profession and the elder of the brothers, Dr. William D. Inlow, is now connected with the world-famed hospital of the Mayo brothers at Rochester, Minnesota, where he has been located for the past two years. He was graduated from the University of Chicago and afterward was accorded his medical degree by Rush Medical College and was serving as an intern in the Cook County Hospital at Chicago when American participation in the World war was begun in 1917. He enlisted his services in behalf of the medical corps of the United States army and was commissioned a lieutenant in that branch of the service, serving until mustered out some time after the signing of the armistice, after which he entered upon his present connection in the great Mayo hospital. Dr. William D. Inlow has done considerable research work for the government, has written widely for medical journals and has a United States license, having won second honors in the examination which secured him this distinction, the only one who passed a higher grade in that examination having been a professor of medicine.
The second son, Charles F. Inlow, served in the medical department of the United States navy during the war and is a member of the 1921 class at Rush Medical College, Chicago. He also was graduated from the Kirksville (Missouri) Osteopathic school in 1915.
The third son, Herbert, who was graduated from the University of Chicago, won his "letter" for athletics while attending that institution and is now attending Rush Medical College, a member of the class of 1922. He married on September 8, 1920, Opal Martyn, one of the teachers in the school at Manilla.
History of Rush County, Indiana, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1888, pages 165-167.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index