Shelby County, Indiana
Rev. Alfred Laymon is a son of John and Jennie (Steele) Laymon, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Kentucky. He was born on April 10, 1813, in Kentucky, and is the third in a family of
twelve children. His parents emigrated from Kentucky to Ohio in 1815, and located in Warren County, where they lived for eight years. They removed thence to Indiana, and in 1823 settled in Shelby County. Having entered eighty acres of land, they lived for many years in that county. In 1837, they came to Owen County, and located in Washington Township, where the father died in 1876, and the mother in 1864. Alfred
Laymon was reared in Shelby County, and in 1832 he entered forty acres of land upon which he lived for five years, and then removed to Owen County, where he purchased eighty acres of good farm land about three miles west of Grosport. He removed thence in four years to Shelby County, and continued to farm there until 1852, when he again returned to Owen County. He purchased 170 acres of the best farm land in the county, and is at present living upon the same, to which he has added 530 acres. In 1867, he was ordained a minister of the Separate Baptist Church, and built the edifice known as the " Laymon Church," where he still preaches the Gospel. Rev. Mr. Laymon was married, in 1832, to Elizabeth Randolph, a daughter of Samuel and Nancy Randolph, old and respected pioneers of Owen County. By this union there were twelve children, eight of whom are living: Charlotte, David, Alfred, William, Elizabeth, Marion, Daniel and Allen. Politically, Mr. Laymon is a Democrat.
Counties of Clay and Owen, Indiana: Historical and biographical, "Washington Township, Owen County," Charles Blanchard, Editor. Chicago, F. A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1884, pages 878-879.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index