Dr. Harley Shultz McKee, township trustee of Salt Creek township, Decatur county, Indiana, and a well-known practicing physician of Decatur county, located at New Point, and was born on November 21, 1878, at St. Paul, this county, son of
John B. and Mary (Lowe) McKee, both of whom were born in 1848. John B. McKee, a native of St. Paul, Decatur county, was a son of the
Rev. Samuel McKee, a native of Pennsylvania. The former conducted a grocery for the stone workers and quarrymen for a number of years at St. Paul.
His wife, who, before her marriage was Mary Lowe, and was a native of Decatur county, the daughter of
Mack Lowe, a native of Kentucky, who was a school teacher by profession.
Rev. Samuel McKee, the grandfather of Dr. Harley Shultz McKee, was a minister in the United Brethern church, and a farmer.
During the days when ministers of the Gospel were accustomed to ride horseback to reach their various assignments, he was the minister at Gratia, and also preached at other churches in that vicinity.
To John B. and Mary (Lowe) McKee five children were born, in the order of their birth, as follows:
Nellie, the wife of Doctor Kerchel, of Greensburg; Kathleen, the wife of
Rev. S. G. Huntington, of Rushville, Indiana, a well-known Baptist minister of southern Indiana;
Gertrude, the wife of W. F. Barber, a well-known teacher in the schools of St. Paul;
Dr. Harley S. McKee, the subject of this sketch, and J. F. McKee, assistant superintendent of the Big Four Freight depot at Shelbyville, Indiana
Educated in the public schools at St. Paul, Indiana, Doctor McKee studied for his profession in the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis, and was graduated from the Illinois Medical University at Chicago in 1907.
After his graduation he began the practice of his profession at New Point, and has built up a large practice among the people of that community, who have profound confidence, not only in his ability as a physician, but who admire him for his pleasant personality and modest, unassuming disposition.
He is a member of the Decatur County Medical Society and the Indiana State Medical Association.
On January 17, 1914, Doctor McKee was married to
Jennie M. Starks, daughter of Edward F. and Mary Starks, the former of whom is a well-known jeweler at New Point.
That Dr. H.S. McKee enjoys the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens and the people of Salt Creek township it thoroughly proved by his election, in the fall of 1914 on the Progressive ticket, as trustee of this township.
The people of the township admire him because he was willing during the time he was struggling to obtain an education for the practice of medicine to teach several terms of school in this county.
In this way he was able to pay his way through medical school.
Doctor and Mrs. McKee are members of the Christian church.
Fraternally, the doctor is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons at New Point, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of the same city, the Knights of Pythias of St. Paul and the Royal Order of Moose at Greensburg.
He is also a member of the Order of Eastern Star and of the Rathbone Sisters.
Doctor McKee is a highly deserving physician and citizen, and the large practice which he enjoys has been built up on the substantial foundation of merit alone.
History of Decatur County, Indiana, Lewis A. Harding, Editor.
B. F. Bowen & Co, Inc, Indianapolis, 1915. Contributed by Barb Huff