Shelby County Indiana
William H. Miller
WILLIAM H. MILLER, hardware merchant, is a native of Shelby County, Ind., and was born December 10, 1840.
He was reared in his native county, and there remained until 1873; he attended the high school at Shelbyville, took a commercial course in Bryant & Stratton's College, and afterward engaged in teaching.
April 21, 1861, he enlisted for three months and afterward served almost three years in Company D, Thirty-third Indiana Regiment; was later transferred to Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and took part in the following actions:
Philippi, Laurel Hill, Cheat River, Wild Cat, Thompson Station, Peach Tree Creek and the Atlanta campaign. He was discharge September 7, 1864; returned to Shelby County; was elected County Surveyor in 1866, and re-elected in 1868.
December 21, 1864, he married Miss Marthena Toner, with a result of five children -- Laura B., Albert L., Alice, Edgar and
Mary B. At this time, Mr. Miller engaged in merchandising and dealing in grain, which he continued until 1873, when he removed to this town and purchased a hardware store.
He represents himself in the firm of Miller & Co.; they also deal in agricultural implements, have some $10,000 invested, and do from $40,000 to $50,000 per year.
Mr. Miller is a Mason and an Odd Fellow; and has, besides a good town residence, 160 acres in Jasper County, Ill.
Counties of Morgan, Monroe & Brown, Indiana, Historical and Biographical; Charles Blanchard, Editor; Chicago: F. A. Battey & Co. Publishers 1884;
"Washington Township & Martinsville, Morgan Co., Indiana"; page 197
Contributed by Marge Roberts
For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index