Alfred N. Arnold
Among the prosperous farmers in Hanover Township,
Shelby county, who having won marked success in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles, is the gentleman
whose name appears above, for he started in life in a humble manner with few to assist him in the long battle of
bread winning, but he has been persistent and exercised such traits of business ability that always win.
Alfred N. Arnold, son of Lewis F. and Margaret E. (Dorsett) Arnold, was born in North Carolina, November 9, 1854, and in 1858 he was brought by his parents to Shelby county, Indiana, settling in Marion township, having made the long journey from the old Tar state in wagons. Although a good man and a hard worker, Lewis Arnold remained in moderate circumstances all his life, having rented land. He and his wife were the parents of six chldren, one of whom died young. They are: Martha A., deceased; Emily F., wife of K. E. Barnes; James H., Assessor of Hanover township; Alfred N., subject of this sketch; Margaret E., wife of John Parvis.
Alfred N. Arnold was past three years old when he was brought to Shelby county. He received his education in the district schools in which he spent three months out of each year from the time he reached school age until he was eighteen years old. He assisted his father with the work on the farm during the remainder of the year.
The chapter bearing on the domestic life of our subject dates from the year 1881, when he was united in marriage with Nancy J. Myer, a native of Hanover township, her birth occurring in 1858. She was reared in this county and educated in the common schools.
When Mr. and Mrs. Arnold started out in life together they rented a farm in Hanover township. Mrs. Arnold inherited thirty-five acres of land which the subject begain in improve in a short time, renting adjoining land. Later he began to buy the interests of the heirs of the old Myer homestead, until he had a fine farm. He purchased his present place of one hundred and seventeen acres in 1901. This place, located in section 18, has been brought up to a high state of improvement, for the owner is a good manager, keeps well abreast of the times in agricultural matters. He erected a splendid barn in 1908, which burned in July, of that year, but he has replaced it with another very substantial building. He also has a good dwelling house, pleasantly located. Besides carrying on general farming, Mr. Arnold keeps considerable stock, especially horses and hogs which
always find a ready market.
To Mr. and Mrs. Arnold five children have been born, namely: James D., who is married; Orpha E. married Frank Walker of Van Buren township; McKinley Hobart, Charles F. and Ralph O. They are all living at home, except James D. and Orpha E.
In religious matter Mr. Arnold is a member of the United Brethren church, being a liberal supporter of the same, having served both as trustee and class leader, also as a steward. In politics he is a Republican, and while he is an active worker during election times he has never held office.
Mr. Arnold has found time to travel considerably, faving, among other trips, twice visited his old homestead in North Carolina. He is well and favorably known throught Shelby county, and easily ranks among the best farmers of the same.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana, by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, pages 727-728.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming
Biography Index Main Page