“Benjamin Buxton was born in England, May 18, 1824. He was the fourth son of seven children, three daughters and four sons. His parents, John and Sarah (Wright) Buxton, were both natives of England. When but eight years old, Mr. Buxton was left fatherless, and eight years later his mother died, when he was thrown upon his own resources. He received some education at boarding school prior to his mother's death. He worked as a carpenter for some time, then as a salesman for a wholesale dry goods house until 1847, when he came to America. He landed at New York, going from there to Albany by steamer, from there to Buffalo by canal boat, and from there to Chicago, where he remained about a year, and then came to Shelby County, where he purchased land and located in 1849. He purchased 100 acres on the south bank of Flat Rock, where he has since resided. June 10, 1850, he married Miss Diana Avery, a native of this county, born March 1826, the daughter of William and Hannah (Magoe) Avery, of English and Irish parentage, who were among the pioneers of this county. Mr. Buxton is the parent of eight children; William J., born October 22, 1850, who is Recorder elect; Helen A., born March 22, 1852, wife of Hopkins Hoban; Evelena, born November 9, 1854, wife of Squire Cooper; Robert W., born August 30, 1862, who is now teaching school and running the home farm; Elizabeth, Thomas M., Thaddeus E., Alfred M., the last three of whom are dead. Mr. Buxton and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Buxton is a stirring, engergetic man; he owns now a farm of 340 acres of fine land, well improved, and with fine buildings upon it; he is one of the best farmers of his [Noble] township. He is a member of the Democratic party, an honest, upright man, and one of the best of citizens."
History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Noble Sketches", pp. 723-4 of Brant & Fuller, 1887
Submitted by Don T. Mitchell
Note: It would be interesting to know whether Sarah (Wright) Buxton was related to John and George Wright [see their bios], immigrant-brothers from England who also settled in what was called the "English district" of Noble Twp.