Charles  E. Young

          Charles E. Young  was born in Shelby county, Indiana, February 6, 1859.  In the fall of 65 he came with his parents to Boone county, settling on a farm near Spickelpoint.  The county being comparatively new, much was necessary in the way of clearing, fencing and putting in wooden ditches.  He attended the district schools during the winter, the term ranging from 60 to 80 days.  The first school he attended was in district 7, Harrison township, in a log house, with dirt floors and stick chimney, each patron providing a bench or seat for his children.
          In 1878 he began teaching in his home and has taught school continuously since, with the exception of two years.  He is one of the first teachers in the county exempt from examination.  In 1882 he entered the State Normal school and completed three years work in that institution.
          Mr. Young was admitted to the bar of the Boone circuit court in 1898 and has since practiced his profession in this and adjoining counties.  Being a notary public, he is prepared to execute all kinds of sealed documents.  He has been a member of the Christian church since 1883; is a member of the Masonic order, Knights of Pythias, Red Men, Tribe of Ben Hur and Modern Woodmen.
          October 31, 1888, he was married to  Miss Maye K. Austin  of Thorntown.  They have four children- three sons and one daughter.  Their residence since 1890 has been 38 Jefferson street.
Jamestown Press,  Boone County, Indiana,  Friday, January 15, 1904.  Special Edition.
Copied by Janet Isley Price

Biography Index       Main Page