Shelby County, Indiana
Charles H. Campbell
The Shelby county family of this name originated in Virginia,
filtrated through Kentucky, but
finally settled on solid ground in Indiana. But when Andrew Campbell, the pioneer founder, was a
good-sized boy and able to take notice of things as they are, there was nothing round about that
looked particularly pleasing. As he was born on November 25, 1785, before Washington became
President, the student of history will understand that Indiana Territory was at that time a howling
wilderness filled with wild beasts and still wilder men. It seems that he made his way into Kentucky
early in the last century, later crossing into Indiana, and left a family of six small sons. One of these,
named Abraham H., was born at Lexington, Scott county, Indiana, in 1825, and in later life became
a mechanic and cabinet maker. In 1862 he enlisted in the Sixty-sixth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer
Infantry, and was elected first lieutenant of one of its companies. He married
Mary Jane Doolittle,
who was born at Lexinton in 1825, and died in 1895, after becoming the mother of five children, of
whom two sons and one daughter are now living. Edward, the oldest of these, is a farmer in Scott
county, and has six sons. Mrs. Amick, the only daughter, is a resident of Shelbyville, and a widow
with four children.
Charles H. Campbell, the youngest of the family, was born at Lexington, Indiana, November
28, 1853. As he grew up he worked for a while with his father at the cabinet maker's trade, but gave
this up to enter the employment of the Big Four Railroad, which he served for nineteen years in different
positions. He was operator, train dispatcher and passenger conductor for short intervals and station
agent at Shelbyville for fourteen years. At length, however, he struck his true gait in a line for which he
was especially well qualified, and a business whose success was sure to greatly redound to the prosperity
of Shelbyville. In 900, in connection with the late Frank D. Blanchard
and J. A. Conrey, Mr. Campbell organized a corporation for the purpose of making furniture. The building in which the work is done occupies a space of one hundred by two hundred and twenty-five feet, and the material used is iron and brick combination.
The capacity of the plant is two hundred and thirty thousand dollars per year, and Mr. Campbell
contemplates the erection of a factory that will double the capacity. The machinery is all of the latest
pattern and one hundred and twenty-five men, mostly skilled workers, are given constant daily employment
The factory which is located in Center, South and Taylor streets, is owned exclusively by Mr. Campbell,
his wife and son holding one nominal share each to meet the requirements for incorporation. The furniture
factories each turning out different grades of material, have been the making of Shelbyville, and none
have been more enterprising or beneficial that the one established and managed by Mr. Campbell..
Mr. Campbell has been a life-long and very enthusiastic Republican, with a decided taste for
and quite influential as a local party leader. He has served two terms in the City Council, three years
on the city School Board, and last year was sent as a delegate to the national Republican convention,
which met at Chicago and nominated Taft and Sherman. Mr. Campbell is indeed a man who deserves
well of his community, to which for many years he has contributed his fine energy and strong power of
organizing and leading men. His employees are devoted to him just as are his many friends, and all agree
that he richly deserves the prosperity that has come to him..
On September 3, 1876, Mr. Campbell was married to Lucinda M. Harding, and by this union there were six children: Ada L., now Mrs. Smith, has two sons; George W., Margaret M., wife of Mr. Baggie, editor of the Republican; Ruth, Florence and Stanley. The mother died in 1899, and in September, 1900, Mr. Campbell married Angeline Gowels, by whom he has
one son, Charles H., Jr. Mr. Campbell is a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of the Odd
Fellows. Elks and Modern Woodmen. He belongs to First Presbyterian church.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, p 382-383.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
Charles H. Campbell. — Conspicuous among the enterprising
and public spirited citizens of Shelbyville is Charles H. Campbell,
who was born in the town of Lexington, Indiana, November 28,
1853. His paternal ancestors were among the early colonists of
Virginia, his grandfather Andrew Campbell having been born in
that State about the year 1777. The family came to Indiana in an
early day, settling in Scott County in 1823, where Andrew Campbell's death occurred 1856.
Subject's parents, A. H. and Mary J. E.
(Doolittle) Campbell were both natives of Indiana, the former born
in Scott County, October 17, 1825, and the latter in the southern
part of the State, June 27, of the same year. Charles H. Campbell's early educational experience embraced the studies
appertaining to the course prescribed by the public schools, in which he
made commendable progress, obtaining a practical knowledge of
the common branches of learning. In 1872, he accepted a position
with the railroad locating in Shelbyville the following year and making this city his headquarters,
until 1875. In the latter year he
was transferred to Cincinnati, but in 1876, returned to Shelbyville
and accepted the position of ticket agent for the C., I., St. L. & C.
Railroad, the duties of which responsible trust he is still discharging. Mr. Campbell is a faithful and accomplished business man, alive to
the interests of the company, by which he is employed and enjoys
the respect and confidence of all who know him. In addition to his
official duties he takes an active interest in all measures having for
their object the public good deserving special mention for his efforts
in behalf of the city's welfare as member of the common council to
which body he was elected in 1885, and in which he displayed wisdom,
and rare executive ability. Politically he is a Republican, and cast
his first vote in 1876, for R. B. Hayes. He is a member of the
Odd Fellows fraternity, having identified himself with the same in
1885. He married in 1876, Miss Lucy Harding, daughter of
William and Margaret Harding, of Ohio, a union blessed with the
birth of two children viz.:: Ada L. and George W. Campbell.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Shelbyville Sketches", Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887, page 473-474.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
To contact researchers listed above, use the Surname Index