Edward J. Fields
Edward J. Fields, a prominent resident of Mt. Auburn, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, April 26, 1840. His
parents were Jacob H. and Elizabeth (Cotterman) Fields,
natives of Berks County, Pa., where they were married, but soon afterward removed to Ohio, and resided there until
their respective deaths, the former's February 15, 1859, and the latter's August 13, 1886. Edward J. was
the fifth child, and was reared on the farm, receiving a fair education. At the age of eighteen, he was apprenticed
to learn the blacksmith's trade, and continued at that three years. On September 10, 1861, he answered his
country's call by enlisting in Company C, Forty-fourth Regiment Ohio Infantry, and took part in the following noted
battles: Lewisburg, Va., and in all the scouting in that State, the battles of Beverly, Cotton Hill, Charleston,
Va., siege of Knoxville, Cedar Creek, and Cumberland Gap, and during the siege of Knoxville he had a finger shot
off. August 10, 1865, he received an honorable discharge, and returned home to enjoy the Union he had fought
to preserve. During the war, while home on a furlough, he chose for his life companion Miss
Mary E. Black, a native of Ohio. This union was blessed with three children: Loren M., Harry E., and Elizabeth, all of whom are living. Mrs. Fields died January 20, 1870. In October, 1871, he was
married to Elizabeth J. Niebel, daughter of John and Catharine Niebel, whose personal history appears in
this volume. This union was blessed with one child, John M. On September 20, 1870, our subject located in Mt. Auburn, where he began, and has ever since
followed, his trade, having come to Shelby County some time prior to that. Politically, he is a staunch Republican,
and firmly believes in the principles of that party. He has never sought for political honors, but when it
is necessary in a campaign, he is always found in the front fighting for his party. Mr. and Mrs. Fields are
members of the Lutheran Church. He is a member of Herndon Lodge No. 95, also of "Edinburg Camp,"
and a member of John R. Cooper Post, G.A.R., 472.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887, page 749-750.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming