Thomas W. Fleming
was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, November 25, 1847. He is a
son of Dr. George W. Fleming, who came with his family to
Shelbyville in 1851. The subject of this sketch attended public schools,
and was afterward prepared for college by Rev. J. J. Smythe, a graduate of
Trinity College, Dublin. The death of his father, however, in March, 1864,
compelled Mr. Fleming to abandon his much-cherished ambition to go to
college. During the next four years he was engaged in mercantile pursuits
in this city, and in December, 1868, entered the Shelby Bank with Mr.
S. Hamilton. Having filled all of the positions in each department of
the bank, he is thoroughly conversant with its duties and the needs of its
patrons. Upon the death of Mr. Hamilton, in May, 1892, the bank was
reorganized, and Mr. Fleming placed at its head. The Shelby Bank is the
oldest financial institution in Shelbyville, and is as strong as the
strongest. For the success which has been achieved by this old and
reliable institution, much of the credit is due Mr. Fleming. He was
married to Miss Anna Rowen in May, 1873. They have two
children, a son and a daughter.
From an unidentified page in the Fleming family file at the Shelbyville-Shelby County Library.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming