George O. Handy
George O. Handy, of the firm of Handy & Cremeens, druggists, was born in Hancock County,
Indiana, February 10, 1861. He is the youngest son of William and
Sarah (Smith) Handy. He received a common school education, was reared a farmer and to this occupation gave his
attention until he was twenty years of age, when he was employed by his brother,
then a butcher in Morristown, where he remained two years. The following two years, he was
engaged with C.T. Williams, as a drug clerk. He then received the appointment of Postmaster
at Morristown, in which capacity he officiated until January 1, 1887, when he was succeeded by
the present incumbent, George A. Spurrier. November 9, 1885, Mr. Handy and his partner
Mr. James Cremeens, purchased the drug store of C. T. Williams, and have since been con-
ducting a good paying business, to which Mr. Handy has devoted his entire attention. He was
elected to the office of Town Clerk, of the incorporated town of Morristown, in 1881, and was
re-elected in 1882. He is a member of Navarre Lodge No. 157, Knights of Pythias, of the above
named place, and holds the position of Master at Arms. Politically, he is a Democrat, and is high-
ly esteemed by his fellow-citizens.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Hanover Sketches", Chicago:
Brant & Fuller, 1887, page 636.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming.