Henry L. Ross
Among the well known residents of Shelby county
have finished life's journey and gone to their reward, the name of the late Henry L. Ross, of Hendricks
township, is worthy of especial notice. An honorable man in all of his relations and dealings, an enterprising
citizen who ever manifested an active interest for the public good, he did well his part and left to his descendants
the memory of an honored name. Mr. Ross was a native of Butler county, Ohio, born November 20, 1830. His
parents, James and Phoebe (Tucker) Ross, moved from New Jersey to Ohio in an early day and were among the
pioneer settlers of Butler county, where they continued to reside until their removal in 1848 to Shelby county,
Indiana. Locating in Hendricks township, Mr. Ross purchased land, cleared and improved a fine farm on which
he and his good wife spent the remainder of their days, and which for a number of years was the home of their four
children, whose names are as follows: Maria, widow of Richard Norris; Henry L.,
whose name introduces this sketch; Benton and Charlotte, deceased.
Henry L. Ross was a boy when the family removed to Shelby county, and, like the majority of country lads, spent his youth and early manhood amid the duties of farm life. In the meantime he attended such schools as the county afforded until acquiring a fair education. He remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, when he severed home ties and engaged in agricultural pursuits upon his own responsibility. In December, 1859, he contracted a marriage with Louisiana Salla, who was born in Rush county, Indiana, in the year 1841, her parents, Lewis and Julia Ann (Gordon) Salla, being early residents of that part of the state and among the most estimable people of the community in which they lived. Lewis Salla, a native of Rhode Island, came to Indiana in 1819, and settled in Franklin county, removing later to Rush county, where in connection with farming, he taught school for a number of years, having been a man of much more than ordinary intelligence and culture. In 1852 he disposed of his interests in Rush county, and purchased two hundred acres of land in Shelby county, which he improved and converted into one of the finest farms in Hendricks township, and on which he made his home until called from earthly scenes in the year 1879. He was a man of reputable standing in the community, public-spirited in all the term implies, and during the latter part of his life was a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, his original religious views, however, having been in harmony with the teaching of the Church of the Disciples, of which he was for some years a devoted member.
Julia Ann Gordon, wife of Lewis Salla, was born in Kentucky, and when a child was taken by her parents to Franklin county, Indiana, the country at that time abounding in wild animals, while Indians still roamed the forests and caused the pioneers no little trouble and annoyance. She grew to womanhood and married in Franklin county, became the mother of a large number of children, and was a woman of high character and blameless life, a sincere Christian and for many years an influential member of the Methodist Episcopal church; she died in the year 1875. Of the fifteen children born to Lewis and Julia Ann Salla, thirteen grew to maturity, the surviving members of the family at this time being Huldah; Mrs. Louisiana Ross; Sophia and Julia. The following are the names of those deceased: William, Clinton, Anna E., Eliza, Melvin, Milton, Alfred F., Salina, Catherine, Lewis and Alcina.
The marriage of Henry L. and Louisiana Ross was blessed with five children, the oldest of whom, a son by the name of James, lives in Edinburg, Indiana; he married Isephena Chesser and has a family of three children, viz: Hazel M., Clarence and Ruth. Nora, the second in order of birth, is the widow of Abraham Deupree, and the mother of two children, Louie and Carl; Mrs. Deupree is a trained nurse, and for some years has made her home in Shelbyville. Harry, the third of the family, died when a young man, the next in succession being Ida May, the wife of Dr. William Smith, of Bartholomew county, Indiana, who has had two children, Edward and Evelyn, the former deceased. Carl, the youngest of the number, lives in Kansas City, Missouri. He is a married man, and the father of one daughter by the name of Irene, his wife having formerly been Blanche Snyder.
Mr. Ross was a life-long Democrat, and a zealous worker for the success of his party, and as a reward for his services he was honored with official positions from time to time, having been twice elected Trustee of Hendricks township, proving a capable and popular public servant. When a young man he joined the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and continued a faithful member of the organization to the end of his days, exemplifying its principles and precepts in his relations with his fellow men.
Mr. and Mrs. Ross moved to the farm in Hendricks township, on which the latter still lives, in 1861, from which time until the husband's lamented death they labored to improve the place and rear their family, passing through many trials and struggles the meanwhile, but finally becoming prosperous and comfortable. With the interests of each other at heart their mutual efforts resulted in a large measure of success and for many years their home was known far and wide as an abode of generous hospitality. After an active and useful life, fraught with much good Mr. Ross was called to his final reward, dying January 23, 1890. Since his death Mrs. Ross has managed the farm very judiciously and successfully and she is greatly esteemed by her neighbors and friends, being a sincere Christian and devoted member of the Baptist church of Shelbyville; she shows her faith by her works.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana, by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, pages 627-629.