Is one of the fixtures of our city, and may be regarded as one of the old
settlers. He was born on the 28th of December, 1830, in Brookfield, Franklin
county, Indiana, and came to Shelby county in 1835. When he came to
Shelbyville he was not very well off in this world's goods, having only
twenty-five cents upon which to build a fortune; but he was possessed of
shrewdness and tact, generally a good substitute for riches. When he came to
this city he had the magnificent sum of twenty-five cents, and invested that
in a copy of Talbott's Arithmetic, and went in debt for thirty cents, the
balance due on the book. His days in school were but few, having attended
only two years, and during that time sawed wood for the father of our
fellow-townsman, Henry Doble, Esq. In 1846 he engaged in the jewelry
business, which vocation he has ever followed. In 1867 Mr. Higgins was
elected Justice of the Peace for Addison township, and such was the
satisfaction he gave that the people have not permitted him to lay aside the
judicial ermine, but have forced him to still wear that garment. As a
Justice of the Peace he has been a success, as he has made one of the best
the county ever had. He is now the owner of eight houses in this city, and
enjoys himself as well as does the crowned king upon his throne.
The Shelby Democrat
February 20, 1879
VOL. 1; No. 37
from the article, SMILING SHELBYVILLE!
Andrew J. Higgins
Contributed by Jeanne Surber
Next biography in the "
Smiling Shelbyville" newspaper article,
C. M. Puntenney.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Andrew J. Higgins was born near
County, Indiana, December 28th, 1830. His father, Henry Higgins, of Irish descent,
was born in Kentucky, came to Shelby
County in 1835, and died in this city in 1872. Malinda (Jackson)
Higgins, the mother of our subject, was born in Ohio, January 1st,
1813, and now resides in Shelbyville. Andrew J. is the eldest of a
family of eight children. He received a common school education
sufficient to enable him to teach school, which he began at the age
of seventeen years and followed at intervals with marked success
for a period of nine years. In 1847, he embarked in the jewelry
business, which he carried on with financial profit until 1877, when
he retired and entered the business arena as real estate dealer, and
being a man of excellent judgment, has made some very profitable
investments. In 1852, he was united in marriage with Miss Frances
Shadley, by whom he is the father of eleven children, Mary J.,
Elizabeth A., James B., Margaret E., Francis M., Geo. T.,
Mattie E., Ursula, Charlie A., and Samuel T., and
William, now dead.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Brant & Fuller, 1887,
"Shelbyville Sketches," page 493-94.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming