Henry  H.  Jackson

The  Shelby  Democrat
February 20, 1879
YOL. 1; No. 37
=================================
from the article, SMILING  SHELBYYILLE!
----------
Henry  H. Jackson.
Is a gentleman of large experience in the hotel business, and what he does not know concerning the running of a hotel is of little yalue.  Mr. Jacson was born in Guildford county, North Carolina, on the 25th day of January, 1844, and located in Columbus, Indiana, in May, 1865, and engaged in the manufacture of carriages until 1871, when he purchased the old  Bowlin  House.  In April, 1873, he leased the  Ray  House, now known as the  Jackson  House.  In April, 1878, he opened the new hotel in Liberty, Indiana, leaving the hotel in this city, in charge of  Mr. George P. Howard  and  Mr. George L. Mullen, but returned to his first love in September following, and resumed personal charge of the House.  It can truthfully be said of Mr. Jackson that he is the only man who has ever successfully conducted this hotel and made money.  He has made for it a reputation among the traveling public second to none in the State.  The rooms in the Jackson House are kept in the best of order, and are scrupulously clean.  The commercial man can always be accommodated with commodious sample rooms, fitted up with all the conveniences for the successful display of his samples.  The table is loaded with all the delicacies of the season which are served up in the most approved style of the art.  Taken all in all, the Jackson House is a model hotel, fitted up in the best of style, with all the modern improvements of the day and persons stopping there always go away feeling that it was good to have been there.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            Henry H. Jackson. The gentleman whose biography is herewith presented is a native of North Carolina, born near the city of Greensborough, on the 25th day of January, 1844. His father, Eliab Jackson, was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, about the year 1793, and died in North Carolina in 1873.  The mother,  Mary (Gassett) Jackson,  was born in North Carolina in 1797, and died at her home in that State about the year 1871.  They raised a family of ten children the subject of this sketch being the youngest.  Henry H. Jackson spent the years of his youth on a farm, enjoyed such educational advantages as were afforded by the country schools, and while still young engaged as a clerk in which capacity he continued for some time. In 1865, he came to Indiana and for six years thereafter was engaged in the manufacture of carriages, at the city of Columbus.  At the end of that time he abandoned mechanical pursuits and opened a hotel, in the same place, which he operated until 1873.  In the latter year he came to Shelbyville, and after remaining here until 1879, returned to Columbus, where he resided until 1882.  He then took charge of the Ray House, Shelbyville which under his successful management soon became a favorite stopping place for the traveling public.  He has been in the hotel business continuously since 1871. He in January, 1884, furnished and fitted the Hotel English, which he continued to operate until May, 1885, and during that time has earned the reputation of a very successful and obliging landlord. February 22, 1871, he married  Mrs. Sarah R. Toll, daughter of  Capt. G. R. Rader, of Kentucky.  Mrs. Jackson was born in the city of Louisville, October 7, 1846.  Mr. Jackson is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Masonic fraternity, haying identified himself with the order in 1865.  Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have two children,  Edward R. and  Addie J.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Brant & Fuller, 1887, "Shelbyville Sketches," page 497-98.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
Biography Index       Main Page