James N. Ardery,
farmer, P.O. Billingsville, was born in Franklin County,
Ind., April 23, 1825. His parents, James and Mary (Watson)
Ardery, were born,
reared and married in Harrison County, Ky. In 1817, they came to Franklin
County, Ind., and located in Springfield Township. They ever after resided
there, and to them was born a family of eight children, four of whom are now
living. They were industrious, intelligent people, and had the respect of all
who knew them. James Ardery was brought up to hard work and received such
education as the log schoolhouse of that early day afforded. Soon after reaching
his majority, he began for himself by working by the month upon a farm, taking
contracts for clearing land, or anything he could honorably make a penny at.
carefully saved his money, and after a few years purchased a tract of land in
Shelby County, Ind. He kept dealing in real estate in different portions of the
State for some time, but continued to reside in Union County. He also dealt in
live stock during this time, and in all his undertakings was quite successful.
He was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Goff October 3, 1850.
This lady was
born in Bath Township, Franklin Co., Ind., July 15, 1834. By this union there
were ten children – John, Leander, James, Albert,
Dora, Ellsworth, Mary, Laura, Franklin and
Omar. In 1864, Mr. Ardery purchased his present farm and has
since added to it until he owns 258 acres. He has made what he now possesses by
close attention to business and by economy, and is a practical and successful
farmer and stockraiser. He is a Republican, and a useful and progressive
Atlas of Union County, Indiana, J. H. Beers & Co, Chicago, IL, 1884, pg 60.