JAMES WILSON, a pioneer of Hendricks Township, is a native of Fleming County, Kentucky,
where he was born April 5, 1825, being the eighth in a family of twelve children, born to
and Polly (Matchet) Wilson, who were also natives of Kentucky.
They came to Indiana and
Rush County, in 1827, where they lived until their death, the former dying in 1837, and the latter in
1840. The year following his mother's death, James came to Shelby County. In early life he received
a limited education. August 27, 1846, his marriage with Eliza Donley, was solemnized and to their
union three children were born: Melvin, Susan and Elizabeth. July 30, 1853, Mr. Wilson suf-
fered the bereavement of losing his beloved wife. November 5, 1854, his and
nuptials were celebrated, and their union has been blessed with these two children:
whose present wife was Della Cox, and Maggie, now
Mrs. Oliver Stafford. Mr. Wilson
has always made farming his principal occupation, in connection with which he has been manufacturing
tile since 1871, and he has been quite successful. He now owns 139-1/2 acres of well improved land,
and in addition a well equipped tile factory. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. He also belongs to the Masonic faternity [sic]. In politics, he is a Republican.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887, pages 664-665.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming.