Among the citizens of Washington township who hold a prominent place in that class composed of men who have attained worldly success largely through their own individual efforts is Jesse A. Miller. His journey through life has been marked by very few idle moments. His parents were John F. and Sarah (Beeler) Miller, and he was born in Washington township, February 8, 1864. There is a strain of German blood in his veins, for his father was born in Germany is 1815, and his mother is descended from natives of that land. His father came
to this country in 1834, and located at Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained several years, going from there to
Shelby county. For a long time he followed agricultural pursuits, and finally moved to Shelbyville, where he lived a retired life for a while. He eventually took up his residence at Flat Rock, and lived there until his death
in 1881. When he came to Shelby county he was penniless, but being possessed of a stout heart and a persevering disposition, he soon began to forge ahead in the world. He was a man of broad and liberal views on all subjects, and a public-spirited citizen. He had strong religious convictions, and was a member of the Methodist church, having allied himself with that denomination when he first came to Shelby county. The father of Mrs. Miller came to the United States from the Fatherland in early days, and settled in Pennsylvania. His advent into Shelby county was at a time when the greater portion of the land was in a wild state, and the implements used in its cultivation very crude. He and his wife were the parents of ten children Jesse A. was the ninth child in the order of birth. Most of his early education was procured in the schools, and then entered high school. Later he took a commercial course in a college at Terre Haute. After completing his education he procured employment in a store in a clerical capacity, and for three years was connected with the stock yards at Indianapolis. His wife was known in her maidenhood as Jennie Myers. Their marriage took place in Illinois, December 31, 1891, and immediately thereafter
they settled on the farm in Washington township.
Mr. Miller is the owner of one hundred and seventy-two
acres of land, which he accumulated as the result of his frugality since he was married. On March 18, 1907, the
Miller's moved to Lewis Creek, where the subject assumed the management of the elevator of William Nading, which position he still holds. The duties of this position are not such as to prevent him from giving some attention to his farm, which is very productive, modern methods being a pplied in the cultivation thereof. Mr. Miller believes that secret orders are a potent factor in accomplishing much good in the world, and belings to the Farmer's Lodge, No. 147, Free and Accepted Masons, at Norristown, and Kenton Lodge, No. 7, Knights of Pythias, at Hope. He is in accord with the principles of the Republican party, and has always voted that ticket, although he is in no sense a politician, nor does he ever participate in active political work. No man in the county has a better reputation for probity and fair dealing.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local
talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, p 756-7.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming