North Carolinians bearing this name migrated to Ohio about the time it was made a state, or shortly afterward, and joined in the development of that new commonwealth. Absalom Greene, a son of the first settler, was born in Ohio January 20, 1820, and was some five or six years old when his widowed mother decided to leave the Buckeye state and plunge into the still wilder regions of Indiana. It was about 1826 that the mother and eight children appeared in the little town of Shelbyville, seeking an opportunity to secure some government land. They finally located on Blue river, just above the town, when the whole face of the country was covered with swamps and timber. After he grew up Absalom became a farmer, and in the course of years propered, being considered one of the well-to-do land owners of the county. He was a man of unusual intelligence, read much and aimed to keep well posted on current events. He was a member of the Baptist church in Addison township, held the office of deacon, was a regular attendant, and led in the old-fashioned singing, and was one of the most enthusiastic workers in the congregation. He devoted his entire life to his farm, his home and his church. He died at Shelbyville, December 19, 1898. He married Mary Montgomery, who was born in Kentucky, December 19, 1822, and died March 5, 1900. Her parents, who brought her here in girlhood, located four miles east of Shelbyville, on the Michigan road. To Absalom Greene and wife six children were born: John William; Sanford Perry, of Madison county; Elizabeth Ann (McCauley) lives at Waldron; Annis Laird lives at Meltzerville; Oliver Lindsay, deceased; Emma J. (Thompson) lives at Winchester. John William Greene, his father's oldest child, was born in Addison township, Shelby county, Indiana, October 8, 1843. Schools were scarce and poor in those days, but he managed to obtain enough education to qualigy him to tach school. Thus equipped, though still quite young, he started ou as an educator, and devoted ten years to the business in Noble, Addison, Liberty and Moral township. After he quit teaching he farmed for several years, but in April 1887, located at Waldron for the purpose of engaging in other pursuits. For several years he was employed by David Grubb in the grain business, and later became interested in the implement business for several years. Eventually he became connected with the gas interests, and at present is secretary of the Citizens' Gas Company at Waldron.
October 8, 1872, Mr. Greene married Margaret J., daughter of Robert G. McDuffee, her birth occurring in Liberty township, Shelby county, Indiana, June 26, 1848. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Greene, whome they christened Elva May, was born August 12, 1873, and died January 28, 1889. The family were members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Waldron. Mr. Greene belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, at Shelbyville. May 2, 1864, Mr. Greene enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel Vance and Captain Allen and helped do guard duty. He became ill at Nashville, Tennessee, and was in the hospital until his discharge in the fall of 1864. The family occurpied a neat and commodious home at Waldron, where everything indicates happiness and prosperity. Mrs. Greene is a member of the Eastern Star, and active in matters connected with that popular order. She is a sister of G. B. McDuffee, and the family is one of the old and well established social connections of the county. Mrs. Greene's ancestors on the other side were from Scotland, and her father's people were from Ireland.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana, by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well
known local talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, pages 687-689.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming