John H. Phillips
John H. Phillips was born in Virginia, February 12, 1826, son of
Jesse and Jane (Jones) Phillips; parents natives of the same State.
The family came to Indiana as early as 1828, and settled
in Noble Township, this county, thence subsequently to Decatur County. John H. Phillips is the
second of three children by his father's first marriage. He was raised a farmer and followed
agricultural pursuits the greater part of the time until 1852, when he came to
Shelbyville and engaged in the
carpenter trade. in 1854, he accepted a position with the "Big Four" railroad company, and for
eleven years thereafter worked in the freight department with headquarters in this city.
At the end
of that time he went to Indianapolis, where he continued in the service of the
road nine years longer,
making in all twenty consecutive years spent as a railroader, during which time he became
thoroughly familiar with all the details of the business, and earned the reputation of a skillful and painstaking
employe. Severing his connection with the road, Mr. Phillips returned to Shelbyville, and in 1875,
opened a wine and liquor house, which he has since successfully carried on.
In his business ventures he has been quite fortunate, having succeeded in accumulating a comfortable competence,
including the old family homestead in Decatur County and valuable property in Shelbyville.
he was originally a Whig, but on the dissolution of that party, he identified himself with the Republican
party, of which he has ever since been an earnest supporter. He is one of Shelbyville's leading
citizens, and enjoys the confidence and respect of a large number of friends in both city and county.
May 26, 1844, he was united in marriage to Sarah A. Champ, of Kentucky. Mrs. Phillips was
born in 1819, and departed this life on the 4th day of January, 1887.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Brant and Fuller, 1887, page 522.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming.