Secretary of "The Mutual Loan and Savings Association" at
Shelbyville, and one of the city's most
accomplished business men, is a native of Shelby county, Indiana, born
November 14, 1873, in
Noble township. His father, Simpson H. Lewis, [born] also occurred in the
county, followed ...
agriculture ..., served in Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-third Indiana
Infantry, during the late
Civil war, and ...was pensioned by reason of impaired health. His wife,
Medora J. Gregory, daughter
of Charles S. and Mary Gregory, has spent her life [in Noble township].
Simpson H. and
Medora J. Lewis are the parents of five children, four of whom are living,
namely: Iva, Mary, Ora S. and Edward W., all residing in Shelby county, the daughters still [at] home
Edward W. Lewis
spent his childhood and youth in his native township [Noble], early learned
by practical experience the
meaning of honest labor, and while still quite young formulated plans for the
future with the object of
becoming something more than a mere passive factor in the world of affairs.
After attending the
district school ..., he entered the high school at Sulphur Hill [another name
from which he was graduated
... afterwards supplemented by two years at the Northern Indiana Normal
University at Valparaiso. ...
[He] soon achieved more than local repute as a capable and popular instructor
and disciplinarian ...
He was principal of the county high school at Waldron two years, ... [also]
at Blue Ridge, and during ...
1896-97 did general work at the State University ...
school work on 1901, Mr.
Lewis accepted a position in the Democrat [newspaper] office at Shelbyville,
... reading proof, keeping
books, etc. ... [In 1903] he entered the Shelby bank, as bookkeeper ... [for]
four years, ... he [then]
took service with "The Mutual Loan and Savings Association of
Shelbyville," in the organization of which
... he took an active ... part ... contributing much to its ... growth and
prosperity ... // Mr. Lewis on
November 14, 1900, was united in marriage with Florence Buxton, daughter of
William J. and Eva
(Yount) Buxton, of Iowa, now of Shelby county; ... one child, ... William J.,
[born] December 25th, ...
1904. Mr. Lewis's residence ... is one of the attrative homes of Shelbyville.
As a businessman Mr.
Lewis is careful and methodical ... [and is unequalled] as an accomplished
and reliable accountant. ...
The Mutual Loan & Savings Association of Shelbyville, of which
Mr. Lewis is the secretary,
was organized December 26, 1891 ... The officers at this time are Judge K. M.
Hord, president; A. J. Thurston, vice-president; E. W.
Lewis, secretary; Anderville Shaw, attorney; Sylvan B.
Morris, treasurer. These with Joseph H. Akers, Robert W. Buxton,
Joseph B. Randall, and Christian Steinhauser,
constitute the board of directors.
The History of Shelby County, Indiana, Edward
Chadwick, pages 457-459.
Submitted and summarized by Don T. Mitchell, childhood neighbor at Waldron of
Ora, Ivy and