MICHAEL SNYDER, a prominent citizen of Hendricks
[Township], is a native of Washington County, Md., where he was born October 8, 1815, being the third child and
eldest son in a family of five children born to John and Anna (Miller) Snyder. The former died when
Michael was about seven years of age. His widow removed to Virginia, remaining there one year, when they
came out to Montgomery County, Ohio, where Michael remained until he attained the age of eighteen years.
He received what was for those days a common education, such as was to be obtained in the subscription schools
of that time. In the fall of 1833, he came to Indiana, and located in Jackson Township, Shelby County, and made
his home with his half-brother until he reached his majority; he then went to Bartholomew County and engaged in
work at the carpenter trade. February 14, 1839, his marriage with Magdaline Lambert was solemnized,
and to their union fifteen children have been born; their names are as follows: Daniel, who married
Clarissa A. Kennedy, Elizabeth A., now Mrs. Martin Goodwin, John H., whose
present wife was Eliza Frederick; David, deceased; Sarah M., consort of Frank
Hill; Barbara E., widow of William H. Campbell; Margaret M., unmarried;
George, unmarried; Mary M., deceased; Lucinda J., Jacob, deceased;
Andrew J., who married Cora Dodd, Amanda M.; Eliza M., now Mrs.
William M. Cooper; Michael F. About 1844, he returned to Shelby County, where, with the
exception of one year, when he lived in what is known as the Haripatch [Hawpatch] in Bartholomew County, he has
ever since lived. He located on his present farm in February, 1854. His occupation has been mostly all his
life farming, and he has been quite successful. He now owns 246 acres of well improved land. He and
wife are members of the Lutheran Church. In politics, he is a Republican, but has never sought any political
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887, pages 662-663.
The subject of this sketch was born in Washington Co., Md., Oct. 8, 1815. He is the son of John and Anna (Miller) Snyder. His father died while he was quite young, and after a few years he removed with his mother to Virginia, and, after a residence there of a year, they came to Montgomery Co., Ohio. He lived in Ohio twelve years and was 18 years of age when he came to Shelby Co., in 1833. In this county Mr. Snyder worked for a half-brother until he was 21, when he received $100 and returned to Ohio. During that winter, he cut cord-wood and made rails, and, in the spring, came back to Shelby Co., and worked at carpentering for three years. Feeling, however, that he would prefer farming, he bought two horses and a piece of land in Jackson Township, consisting of 80 acres. He afterward sold that land and purchased a farm in Illinois, which he in turn traded for the fine farm of 248 acres which he at present occupies, and which is finely represented in this atlas. It is situated on the Shelbyville & Marietta pike, seven miles from Shelbyville, and two and a half miles from Marietta, and two miles from Smithland, the nearest post office. Mr. Snyder was married Feb. 14, 1839, in Bartholomew Co., Ind. to Miss Magdalena Lambert, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Lambert, who were natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Montgomery Co., Ohio, in 1828, and afterward to Bartholomew Co., Ind., where Mr. Lambert died in 1837, and Mrs. Lambert in 1844. He was a Democrat and a member of the Lutheran Church; Mrs. Lambert was a Presbyterian, and both were greatly respected by all who knew them.
Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have had fifteen children --- Daniel F., Elizabeth A., John H., David, Sarah M., Barbara E., Margaret M., George, Mary M., Lucinda J., Jacob, Andrew J., Amanda M., Eliza M. and Michael Frank, of whom all are living excepting David and Jacob. Mr. Snyder lost his mother in 1863.
He is a Republican, and both he and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church. Mrs. Snyder is a remarkable woman. Kind, unselfish and energetic. Besides raising her own large and interesting family she has brought up two girls who are now nicely settled in life. They have one little grandchild --- Lida Snyder --- the daughter of John Snyder.
We trust that this large and happy family circle may long remain unbroken and that Mr. and Mrs. S. may live yet many years surrounded by their children, and their children's children, enjoying the fruits and comforts of a well-spent life.
Atlas of Shelby Co., Indiana, Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co, 1880, pg 56.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming