The medical profession has a able representative at Fountaintown in the person of
Dr. E. B. Miller, whose career has been eminently creditable, and whose continuous success and advancement have gained for him a enviable standing among the leading physicians and surgeons of Shelby county.
Dr. Miller was born at New Palestine, Hancock county, Indiana, November 30, 1865, and is the youngest of the family of five children whose parents,
Noah and Sitha (Boss) Miller, are mentioned elsewhere in this volume.
The first six years of his life were spent in his native village, but about 1871 his parents moved to Shelby county, from which time until young manhood he assisted in cultivating the home farm in Van Buren township, and at intervals attended school at Fountaintown.
His early inclination for books and study was to a considerable extent gratified by close application to his school work, and while still a youth he graduated from high school at Fountaintown, after which he entered the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, with the object of fitting himself for teaching.
The Doctor made a creditable record in the latter institution and at the tine if his graduation in 1888 stood among the highest in his class, in point of scholarship and general efficiency.
The next year he finished a business course besides doing considerable work in the scientific department, and subsequently turned his attention to medicine, to which he devoted two years of close study in the city of
Indianapolis. With an ambition to increase his professional knowledge, he returned to the Lebanon University and took a two year's course in medicine, upon the completion of which, in 1896, he entered the Medical College of Indiana at Indianapolis, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine the year following.
In the meantime he taught several terms of school and made an honorable record as an instructor and had he seen fit to devote his fife to that line would doubtless have achieved distinction as an educator.
His first pedagogical experience was in Van Buren township, where he taught three consecutive terms, after which he was made principal of the schools of
Gwynneville, where he had as an assistant an accomplished young lady by the name of
Bertha H. Loggan, who subsequently became his wife.
The year in which he received his degree Doctor Miller opened an office in Fountaintown, and in due time secured a remunerative practice which has continued to grow until he now commands a very extensive and lucrative professional business, ranking, as already stated, with the leading medical men of this part of the state.
He has never ceased being a student and aims to keep in touch with the trend of professional thought and familiar with the latest discoveries in the realm of medical science.
He is a member of the Hancock County Medical Society, the State Medical society and other
organizations of the like character and is well know among the physicians and surgeons of Hancock and Shelby counties, and throughout the state his large acquaintance and personal contact with many of the eminent men of his calling serve to arouse his ambition and keep him fully abreast of the times.
Dr. Miller is a believer in secret fraternal work and belongs to several organizations with this principle as a basis, including Lodge No. 627, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Morristown; Tribe No. 385, Improved Order of Red Men, in which he holds the title of past sachem, Fountaintown Camp, No. 7097, Modern Woodmen of America, in which he has passed all the chairs, and the Court of Honor.
In a financial way the Doctor's success has kept pace with his professional advancement, and he is now the possessor of a handsome competency.
Since early youth he has been obliged to rely entirely on his own resources and the comfortable fortune which he has accumulated is the result of the faithful application to his profession and the spirit of thrift by which his actions have largely been governed.
Dr. Miller's marriage with Bertha Loggan
was solemnized May 2, 1892. Mrs. Miller was born and reared in Van Buren township, received her education in the schools of Morristown and the National Normal University, at Lebanon, Ohio, and for several years prior to her marriage was one of the efficient and popular teachers of Shelby county.
She taught three years in the schools of Morristown, and the same length of time at Gwynneville, where, as already stated, she was assistant to the gentleman whom she afterward married.
Doctor and Mrs. Miller are the parents of three children, the oldest of whom,
Max H., is deceased. The others are Annabel, born February 28, 1901, and
Mae, whose birth occurred on December 11, 1904. In his political fealty the Doctor is a Republican, and in religion a Methodist, holding the office of trustee in the church to which he belongs.
Mrs. Miller is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a zealous worker in the same.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., first published in 1909,
Copied by Lorraine Llewellyn