Judge H. C. Morrison
90 Years Old Today
(from the 1948 newspaper article)
The Shelbyville News
Judge Harry Clifford Morrison, believed to be the oldest living native
of Shelby county, is marking his 90th birthday at his home at 730 South Harrison
Street today. Because of his impaired health no special celebration was planned
for the occasion but many friends of long standing called to extend greetings to
him Sunday afternoon.
Monday April 26, 1948
Page 1 column 6
Mr. Morrison was born on East Franklin Street on April 26, 1858, and with the
exception of two years in San Francisco, California, always has resided in this
city. In addition to serving as judge of the Shelby circuit court for six years
he has held offices in many local organizations, and was president of
Shelbyville’s first Chamber of Commerce. He also was first president of the
Shelby County Tuberculosis Association.
Judge Morrison’s parents were George C. and Ann (Doble) Morrison and
his wife was Laura Ray. The couple became the parents of 13 children and
11 are living. With the exception of Mrs. R.E. Ackley of Evanston,
Illinois, and Mrs. Fred Otte of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the children
visited with him Sunday. The others are Mrs. J.H. Banawitz, Mrs. Anne
Flaitz, Mrs. George Torrance, Mrs. James Clark, Mrs. Oscar Fisher and Robert
Morrison, who reside in and near Shelbyville; Miss Josephine Morrison
who maintains the home here; Mrs. O.M. Otte of Tarentum, Pennsylvania and
Mrs. Arch Elijah of Morocco.
Judge Morrison has been a member of the Shelby County Bar Association for
more than 65 years and of Shelby Lodge No. 28, F.& A.M., for more than 63
years. He served as past master of the lodge and also as eminent commander of
Baldwin Commandery No. 2 and is believed to be the oldest past master and
commander in the nation. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church and
became a member of the local Elks lodge when 78 years of age.
With Mrs. Morrison he was a member of the Wi-Hub Circle for many years and
has served as president of the old First National Bank and the Union Building
Association and also of the Forest Hill Cemetery Association.
Contributed by Barb Huff