Nicholas Brown, an industrious and successful farmer of Posey Township, was born in Germany, December 6, 1840. He
was the son of Fritzidona and Caroline (Smith) Brown, the former
of whom died when our subject was but three years old. When
he was eleven years old he accompanied his mother and stepfather,
Joseph Bone, to whom his mother had previously been married, to
America, the family locating in Cincinnati. During the summer of
his twelfth year he worked upon a farm in Ripley County, this
State. In March, 1853, he accompanied his mother and stepfather
to this county, and settled with them in Posey Township. In the
following September, his mother and her husband returned to
Cincinnati, but Nicholas remained here, having found a home in the
family of Jeremiah Beckner, where he continued about seven years,
receiving his board and clothes, and a horse, saddle and bridle at the
age of nineteen. At that age, or December 27,1859, he was married to Catharine Beckner, daughter of Henry and Phebe (Plank
Beckner. She was born in Posey Township, December 17, 183-.
During the entire married life of Mr. Brown, he has resided in
Posey Township his occupation being that of a farmer. His first
wife died March 2, 1868, leaving four children: Jerry, Rosella,
Henry and Catharine, all of whom are still living. On the 6th
day of February, 1870, Mr. Brown was married to Sarah A. Allender, who was born in this county December 3, 1840. She is
therefore just three days older than her husband. The parents of
Mrs. Brown were George and Mary (Hulgan) Allender, the former
a native of Kentucky, and the latter a native of South Carolina.
This latter marriage has resulted in the birth of seven children, as
follows.: Mary, Charley, Nora, James, John, and a son and daughter
that died in infancy, unnamed. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are members of the Christian Church. Politically, our subject is a Democrat. He owns a beautiful farm of 155 acres, nearly all of which
is in a high state of cultivation. His farm is fitted up with a handsome residence.
History of Rush County, Indiana, Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Contributed by Jill Knitl