Samuel O'Conner (deceased), was born in County Londonery, near Linivada, Ireland, June 4, 182 1, and died in Shelbyville,
December 2, 1886. His marriage took place May 12, 1849, Miss Mary J.
McGinn, of Philadelphia. Mrs. O'Conner died August
20, 1884. There were six children born to this union: Annie,
Kate, Alice, Samuel, Jr., Jennie and James.
Mr. O'Conner came to
Shelbyville in 1S52, and opened a tailor shop and later engaged in
the clothing business. He continued this occupation until 1870,
when he sold his stock of goods and [?] in the wine and
liquor business, and in that was still engaged at the time of his death. By close application to business he had become in easy
circumstances. He was a member of the City Council for several
years; was also a member of the hrst tire company ever organized
in Shelbyville. He was public spirited, and gave frequent encouragement to enterprises favoring the common weal.
Sam," as he was familiarly known, commanded the respect of unnumbered friends.
He was one of our leading citizens. He was
careful and shrewd in all of his dealings. Andrew Raymond, Mr.
O' Conner's son-in-law, was born in this county September 26, 1845. He moved to Shelbyville in 1869.
He was married November 27,
1882, to Alice O'Conner. James O'Conner, the youngest of these
six children, was born August 22, 1865. He received a common
school education. He is now engaged in the wine and liquor business at his father's old stand.
He bought an interest in the wine
and liquor store after his father's death, and now runs it in partnership with Andrew Raymond.
Mr. O'Conner is one of the popular young business men of this city.
History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Shelbyville
Sketches," page 520, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
The Shelby Democrat
Is the oldest business man in the city of Shelbyville, now doing business,
who has been actively engaged in commercial life for the same number of
years who has paid at all times one hundred cents on the dollar for his
indebtedness. This is a fact worth knowing, and one of which Mr. O'Connor
may well be proud. Few men in this or any city who have been actively
engaged in business for twenty-seven years can say as much. During his
business life in this city, financial distress has several times appeared in
our midst, and he has passed through them without a blemish on his credit.
Such a man is an honor to any city.
February 13, 1879
VOL. 1; No. 37
from the article,
was born in Derry County, Ireland, in the year 1821. He came to
this country in 1847, landing in Philadelphia, when he immediately began
working at the tailoring business. He remained in that place until 1852,
when he came to this city and embarked in the merchant tailoring business,
in Dr. Robins' old frame building on the north side of the Square. After
remaining in that location for several years, he moved to the room now
occupied by Julius Joseph, and added to his merchant tailoring department a
stock of ready made clothing and gents furnishing goods. He carried on
business in that location until 1869, when he sold his stock to David
Robertson, and went into the liquor business in an old frame building, the
present location of THE DEMOCRAT office.
In 1873, he moved to his present location, and a short time after, purchased
that property of George Morrison. He now runs one of the most orderly liquor
establishments in this section of the country. During his residence in this
city, Mr. O'Connor has served about seven years as city councilman - served
so acceptably that no stain has ever been cast upon his character. He
carries a large stock of bourbon and other brands of whiskies, brandies,
gin, wines etc. Also a large stock of foreign and domestic cigars and all
kinds of tobacco. No rowdyism is ever seen about his place of business.
is a retail dealer, sells by the quart and gallon, in quantities not to
exceed five gallons.
Next biography in the "Smiling
Shelbyville" newspaper article, J. C.
Contributed by Jeanne Surber