No member of the large class of German
citizens who have come to the Hoosier state and assisted in its development is
deserving of mention in a book of the province of the one at hand more
, who was born in Steinweiler, Germany, the son of
George and Mary Stohry
, the date of his birth being July 26, 1852. His parents were natives of
the same place where the subject was born.
was a stone and brick mason by trade and worked at this trade all his
life. He and his wife both died in Germany, after becoming the parents of
of this review, and
, who was a gardener and died in Addison township, November, 1904.
received a common school education in the German schools, and he remained at
home until 1869, when he came to America, landing in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, in September of that year. He first secured work in a shoe
factory of that city, where he remained for one year. He also worked
awhile at gardening. He went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he worked for
nine months and from there to Dearborn county, Indiana, where an uncle resided
remaining there for about one and one-half years and then came to Shelbyville,
Indiana. He first worked out as a farm hand until 1882, when he
Anna L. Kuhn
, of Haupshower, Germany, daughter of
Heinrich and Marie (Falk) Kuhn
, both natives of the above named place, and both died in Germany. Mr.
Kuhn was a weaver by trade. They were the parents of six children,
, living in Syracuse, New York;
Conrad, Mary, Katie, Maria; Anna L.
, wife of the subject. Two children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Peter Stohry
, wife of
Jacob Cores [Coers]
, of Addison township, Shelby county, and they are the parents of two children,
Floyd and Herbert
, the subject's second child, is single and is living at home with his
parents. Both these children were educated in the Shelbyville schools.
In 1882 Mr. Stohry bought forty acres of
land in section 33, Addison township, where he now resides. It was known
place. It is a valuable farm and kept in a highly productive
state. In 1905 Mr. Stohry built his beautiful home, which is modern in
every respect. It is equipped with steam heat, hot and cold water,
etc. His excellent barn was built in 1899. He is engaged in general
farming and dairying and has been eminently successful, being a hard working
man and a good manager, as his attractive place indicates. At present he
owns thirty-six head of cattle. He ran a dairy wagon for five years,
selling mild in Shelbyville. He now makes a great deal of excellent
butter, having some fine Jersey cattle. He also keeps some excellent
breeds of Durock hogs, and has a fine lot of White Wyandotte chickens. He
and his son have just added eighty acres to the farm in section 34 Addison
township. He started in life very poor, and even when he landed in
Shelbyville had only seventy-five cents, but being a hard worker and a good
manager he has succeeded, and such a man deserves a great deal of credit for
what he has accomplished. He is a Republican in politics, but has never
aspired to public office. He belongs to the German Presbyterian
church. This family bears an excellent reputation in Addison township,
and have many friends throughout the county.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana
, by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local
talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, pg 606-607.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming