Haehl, the son of George Michael and Maria
Katherine (Becker) Haehl, was born in Moerzheim, Rhinepfalz, Bavaria, Nov. 10, 1831.
Although a native of Germany, he came to the United States with his parents when but 2 years of age. His
father came to Indiana and bought 160 acres of land in Rush Co. and 120 acres in Shelby Co. Mr. Haehl remained at home until his marriage with Anna Maria Kuhn, Sept. 8, 1853, in Union Township, in this county, when he commenced farming for himself on 60 acres of land in Union
Township. He now owns 171 acres of the choicest land in the county, situated seven miles from Shelbyville
and two miles from Cynthiana. Mrs. Haehl is the daughter of Andrew and Anna
Maria Kuhn, who are also natives of German. She came to this country in 1848.
Her father died in 1870, but her mother still lives on the old home place, enjoying very good health. Mr.
Haehl's father died in 1850, and his mother in 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Haehl have had six children -- Amelia M., John H., Emma L., Sophie L. and Daniel are living; they buried their second daughter,
Julia Anna. Mr. Haehl and his wife are devoted
members of the German Evangelical Protestant Church, and the near church edifice stands on the northwest corner
of Mr. Haehl's property. Mr. Haehl and his family are all Democratic, and in all his dealing Mr. H. is an
honest, upright gentleman. He is still in the prime of life, and we hope that there are yet many years of
usefulness before him.
Atlas of Shelby Co., Indiana, Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co, 1880, p 72.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming