The family of this
name origiated in Holland, the emigrant founder being George Stroup, who came
over during the latter part of the eighteenth century. Locating first in
Pennsylvania, he and his family came about 1827 to Montgomery county Ohio.
His son, Reuben, who was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, came west
with his parents and remainedin Ohio about fifteen years. He married
Mary Ann Hahn, a native of Shenandoah county, Virginia, and daughter
of Samuel and Margaret Catherine (Stover) Hahn, a family of
some distinction. Mrs. Hahn's father was Captain Joseph Stover,
who earned his rank as a Virginia soldier in the Revolutionary war. John
Hahn, father of Samuel, also enlisted from Virginia in a patriot
regiment. Until recent years Captain Stover's military cap, which he wore
in the Revolutionary army, was a prized relic in the Stroup family. The
Hahns came to Preble county, Ohio, adjoining Montgomery county, about 1825, and
their daughter, Mary Ann, was a young girl in the family at that time, her
marriage occurring in 1841. Reuben Stroup and his wife came to Shelby
county in 1842 and settled on eighty acres of land purchased from the government
in Liberty township. It was situated on the Michigan road, at that time
the great thoroughfare between the East and the West, Conn's creek flowing
through the place and affording an abundance of water for the stock. To
Reuben and May Ann (Hahn) Stroup six children were born, and all except Lucinda,
who died when six years old, are still living. Their names are: David
P., George A., W. L., Margaret C. and Samuel.
The father died August 29, 1852, in Preble county, Ohio, and in 1860 his widow
married Daniel Cotterman, an old school mate, by whom she had one
son, Elmer C. After marriage they removed to Wayne county,
remained there until 1870, and then returned to the old Shelby county
home. Daniel Cotterman died August 29, 1877, and his wife on November 6,
Samuel P. Stroup
was born on the Liberty township farm, in Shelby county, Indiana, November 12,
1846. He remained with his mother on the farm until 1872, when he branched
out for himself as a farmer for two years. at the endo fo which time he located
at Waldron and engaged in the saw and planing mill business. He and his
step-father bought the plant and conducted it together until Mr. Cotterman's
death. Mr. Stroup bought his partner's interest and continued the business
until September 24, 1879, when the mill was destroyed by fire with a loss of ten
thousand dollars, and no insurance. By the 25th of December in the same
year the mill had been rebuilt and was again cutting lumber. In 1893 he
bought two saw mills in southern Missouri, one in Cape Girardeau and the other
in Stoddard county, his partner in the venture being Thomas Hoskins.
The panic of that year caught them with a large stock of lumber and the falling
offin demand caused a loss of eleven thousand dollars to Mr. Stroup.
Closing up his business there he returned to Waldron and engaged in cutting
timber. In 1902 he dismantled the mill at Waldron and built a planing mill
at Danville, Illinois, starting a lumber yard at that point, with an investment
of twenty-four thousand dollars. Fire destroyed this plant on the night of
July 3, 1903, but insurance and salvage reduced the loss to sixteen thousand
dollars. With his farm and real estate in Shelby county still intact he
purchased the interest of the junior partner in the Pennell & Kumper lumber
yard, and has continued to conduct this Shelbyville plant. In December,
1908, he bought out his partner and since has been sole proprietor. In
1909 he built sheds and yards on his own ground at 129 East Broadway, and moved
his lumber yard to that point.
On January 5, 1872, Mr.
Stroup married Elizabeth C., daughter of Daniel Cotterman,
his step-father. The youngest of their four children died in early
infancy, but Charles R., Minnie M. and Stella
E. survive. Charles resides in Kokomo, and owns a half interest
in a lumber years and planing mill. He is married and has one child, Elizabeth
C. Minnie is the wife of Alfred M. Glossbrenner, half
owner in Levy Brother's Printing Company, Indianapolis; their children are
Daniel I., Albert Reuben and George L.
Stella E. married Frank Lansingkamp, a coppersmith, resident of
Indianapolis, and they have one child, Frank S. Mr. Stroup's first
wife died March 27, 1886, and on October 2, 1888, he married Margaret,
daughter of John DePrez. In 1900 he and his wife built a
residence at the corer of Washington and Tompkins streets in Shelbyville, where
he has since resided. Mr. Stroup has for years been quite prominent in
fraternal circles. In1889-'90 he was grand patriarch of the Indiana Odd
Fellows, in 1892 represented the Sovereign Grand Lodge at Portland, Oregon, and
in 1893 at Milwaukee. In 1896 he was elected grand camp trustee, and has
been re-elected at every election since. His name appears on the copper
plate at the entrance of the grand lodge building, Indianapolis, as one of the
trustees that had charge of the erection of that imposing structure. Mr.
Stroup is also a Mason of prominence, being a member of Baldwin Commandery No.
2, Knights Templar, also of Murat Temple, Mystic Shrine, having reached
the thirty-second degree in Masonry. His other connections are with the
Elks lodge at Shelbyville and the lumbermen's organization, the Hoo Hoos.
History of Shelby County, Indiana,
by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local talent, B.F. Bowen
& Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, Page 841.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
Notes from Ethel Beard Simmons:
The history of Samuel P. Stroup doesn't mention that the first wife of
Daniel Cotterman was Catherine Kesling, daughter of
Henry Kesling of Preble Co. Catherine died in Preble Co.
Daniel Cotterman and family then moved to Indiana. Henry Kesling was the
son of Teter Kesling, Revolutionary War Vet who moved to Warren
Co., Ohio from Rockingham Co., Virginia. Teter is buried near his home in
Warren Co. Henry Kesling is buried near his home in Preble Co. A
large history of the Kesling family has been done and in part goes back to about
1550 in Europe.