Hon. William Patterson
This name has been a familiar one in Shelby county for much more than a half century, for Mr. Patterson has become generally known, not only through his business connections, but also through his public service in the State Legislature. His is a life that has been well spent and as he approaches his advanced years he can look back upon a busy, well directed career, spent in such a way as to bring pleasant reflections, as well as ample provisions for the material comforts and necessities of life.
This gentleman was born in Jackson township, Shelby county, February 11, 1827, and was the son of David L. and Ann (Shaw) Patterson. The former was born in the state of Ohio, in 1804, and came to Shelby county, Indiana, when eighteen years of age. Ann Shaw was also born in Ohio, hear the town of Lebanon, in 1805, and came to Indiana with her parents when still quite young. She became the mother of nine children, viz: George, Harriett, Joel, Martha, James, John, Frank, Julia and William. Of these the surviving members are William, Julia, Harriett, John and James.
William was reared on the farm, near Marietta, in Jackson township, and obtained a somewhat meager education, owing to the lack of educational facilities. He was a wide reader, however, and, through self-effort, managed to broaden himself and acquire a good all-round preparation for life. In 1846 Mr. Patterson was joined in marriage to Charlotte Eberhart, a woman of excellent character, who bore him three children, viz: John, Willis and George, the last named being the only one that survives. Mrs. Patterson died on July 27, 1854, and later Mr. Patterson married Lauretta Eberhart, to whom was born one child, Amanda Patterson, who later became the wife of Gilbert Phillips. On March 3, 1882, Amanda [I think this should read "Lauretta"] Patterson was also called hence, and in the course of time Mr. Patterson chose for his third wife Eliza Mayes, who also is not only an estimable character, but a helpful and congenial companion. Throughout his eventful life Mr. Patterson has ever kept before him a high ideal and has resolutely bent every effort to bring to consummation his plans and undertakings. When starting out for himself, he had nothing but the ordinary necessities of life as far as material equipments were concerned, but he did have a generous portion of self-confidence, pluck and determination to succeed. As a result of his indomitable spirit, we find him classed with the successful and prominent men of the county. Many a hard days' labor in his earlier years was performed for fifty cents per day, and it was no uncommon thing for Mr. Patterson to split rails for twenty-five cents per hundred. His first investment was made in land partly cleared. To this he has made frequent additions until now he controls much valuable land, and is reckoned among the wealthy men of the county. His success has won for him not only the esteem and good will of his friends and neighbors, but has aroused supreme confidence in his ability and integrity. During the session of 1875 he represented his county in the Lower House of the Assembly, which was presided over by the Hon. David Turpie, the governor's chair being filled at that time by the Hon. Thomas A. Hendricks.
Mr. Patterson has achieved success also as a stock raiser, and with his son has had interests in the elevators in Shelbyville. In all of these varied business relations he has maintained the uniform regard and confidence of all of his friends and business associates.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana, Edward H. Chadwick, B. F. & Bowen Co, Indianapolis, Indiana, pg 815-816.
HON. WILLIAM PATTERSON, a farmer of Jackson Township, was born there February 11, 1827. His parents were David L. and Ann (Shaw) Patterson, natives of Ohio, the latter of whom is yet living and has arrived at the ripe old age of eighty-two years. Mr. Patterson began life on his own responsibility, at the age of twenty, and on December 10, 1846, he was united in marriage with Miss Charlotte Eberhart, the daughter of John, Willis and George, of whom Willis is deceased. Mrs. Patterson was called away in 1854, and Mr. Patterson was married to Loretta Eberhart, a sister to his first wife. Their union was blessed with one child, Amanda. He owns a fine farm of 480 acres, all of which he has made by adopting a straight forward course in life. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a staunch Democrat. In 1874, he was elected to the State Legislature, which position he filled with credit. Loretta, the second wife of Mr. Patterson, was called away, March 2, 1881, and January 1, 1884, he was married to Miss Eliza F. Mayes, daughter of M. W. and Nancy Mayes, prominent residents of Jackson Township.
The History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Jackson Sketches", Brant & Fuller, 1877, pg 677.