William A. Pugh
William A. Pugh, M. D., was born in Rushville, March 7, 1829. He was the son of Reu and Catharine (Arnold) Pugh, the former a native of South Carolina, and the latter a native of the Isle of Wight, England. He was reared in Rushville, the public schools of which he attended until the age of fourteen, when he entered Hanover College, but at the expiration of one term he changed to Miami University of Oxford, Ohio, where he completed the sophomore class. Immediately afterward, or in the fall of 1846, he entered Jefferson College, Cannonsburg, Pa., from which institution he graduated in June, 1848. He then returned to Rushville and entered upon the study of medicine with Drs. H. G. and M. Sexton. There he pursued his medical studies one year. During the winter of 1849—50, he took one course of medical lectures in the Cleveland Medical College. During the following winter he took a course of lectures in the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, graduating in March, 1851. Immediately afterward he entered upon the practice of medicine at Shelbyville, this State, but two years later he came to Rushville, where he has since practiced his profession. In May, 1851, he was married to Miss Nancy A. Bigger, daughter of Finley Bigger, Esq. To them two children have been born: Kate, now the wife of R. J. Wilson, and Finley B., a druggist of Rushville. Dr. Pugh is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics, he is a Republican. He was a member of the Rushville School Board twelve years, and was a member of that body when the present High School building was erected—a thing he was very instrumental in bringing about. Much credit is also due him for the present good condition of the school system of the city.
History Of Rush County Indiana, 1888, Brant & Fuller
Copied by Lora Radiches