Shelby County, Indiana
WILLIAM A. REESE, of Hendricks Township, is a native of Clarke County, Ind., where he was born September 26, 1817, being the eldest of a family of four children born to Benjamin and Sarah (Davis) Reese, who were natives of Scott Co., Ky., and Albermarle Co., Va., respectively. They were married in Jefferson Co., Ind., and they came to Shelby County, November 7, 1834, and located in Hendricks Township, on the farm now owned by James Lamar, and they continued residents of this county until their death, the former dying November 9, 1853, and the latter, June 24, 1868. William A. remained at home and assisted his parents until he had nearly attained the age of twenty-five years, receiving a common school education such as the subscription schools of those days afforded. July 21, 1841, his marriage with Emily J. Tucker, was solemnized, and to their union five children have been born, these tow now living, Sarah A., now Mrs. Sylvester Sandefur, John T., who married Addie G. Schoonover. The deceased children were: Ferdinand M., Benjamin E., and Ida Belle. Mr. Reese has always made farming his occupation and he has been quite successful. He now owns ninety-one acres, and in addition started each of their children in life with a good farm. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church. He belongs and is identified with the Grange movement. In politics he is a Republican, and he has been honored with an election to the office of Township Trustee for several terms.
William A. Reese
History of Shelby County, Indiana, "Hendricks [Twp] Sketches," pg 659-60, Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1887.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming
For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index