Before we close this article, we may mention an
incident connected with the early history of St. John's church, which has just
come to our knowledge:
About the year 1774, Queen Caroline of England
sent three church bells as presents, one for York, one for Lancaster and one for
Carlisle. The bell intended for the Episcopal church in York, weighing 500
pounds, arrived safely, and was deposited before the house of Joseph
Esq., on the pavement; and as there was no steeple or cupola in which to place
it for the use of the church, it remained there for some time. At length
it was taken without any ceremony, or any opposition on the part of the vestry
(if, indeed, there was such a body in existence at that time,) and placed in the
steeple of the courthouse, where it remains to this day. It now belongs to
the county by the law of seizibus bellorum at hungupibut in cupolarum --- (see
"Old law Book," vol. 76, p.6592) --- and is further secured to the
county, by the fact that it is non comatibus in alto. The
congregation have, however, the use of the bell, as it is used to indicate the
time of meeting whenever service is held in the Episcopal church.
History of York County from its erection to the present time : [1729-1834], Carter,
William C., Harrisburg, Pa.: Aurand Press, 1930, 239 pgs.
Contributed by James R. Baker, Jr.