Shelby  County  Indiana  Churches

Mount  Pisgah  Baptist  Church




Photograph contributed by Amy Derrickson



The  Shelbyville  News
Tuesday, October 12, 1976
Page 2
----------
Mt. Pisgah Church
----------
CELEBRATING  150  YEARS
----------
By  Joan Rehme
----------
          Sunday Oct. 17 will be a Red Letter day for the congregation of the Mount Pisgah Baptist Church, located east of Shelbyville on the Blue Ridge Road.
          It will be a day to look backward with pride and forward with hope and inspiration -- the day the Shelby County church celebrates its sesquicentennial.
          As early as 1823, a Missionary Baptist Church had been organized by the settlers living in the southwest portion of Shelby County, five or six miles northeast of Edinburg.  These pioneers had been meeting in homes, but in 1826 moved to a log building on the edge of Johnson County, according to an article written for  "A History of Shelby County, Indiana"  (Brant & Fuller, 1887), by the  Rev. John Reece,  well-known county Baptist minister.
Church  is  organized
          On Oct. 21, 1826, the  Revs. Samuel Harding,  Daniel Stogsdill,  C. Butler  and  William Oldham  brought 10 men and women together in Shelbyville to found the Shelbyville Baptist Church, now known as the Mount Pisgah Baptist, thus making it the oldest church of the Baptist faith still in existence in Shelby County.
          Gathering for that first meeting were  George Titus,  William Morris,  Hannah Titus,  Patsy Morris,  James Emmett,  Catherine Wingate,  Morning Simpson,  Phoebe Emmett,  Sally Gatewood  and  Sally Ripper.
          The Revs. Harding and Stogsdill were selected to visit and preach at services for the fledgling Shelbyville Baptist Church.
          Weekly meetings were held in the homes of the members for eight years although in 1830  James Robertson  had donated ground for a church house four miles east of Shelbyville.
          By December, 1832, the log church, 28 by 36 feet, was completed and the congregation moved in.  The building was covered with clapboard and had rude benches hewn from logs and a dirt floor.
          The log house was removed in 1853 and a frame church erected, 22 by 30 feet, on the same lot.  Outgrown again by 1865, the congregation erected a 36- by 50-foot frame building at a cost of $2,000, which is still the sanctuary of the church today.
          When the congratation moved from Shelbyville, the name of the church was changed to "Bethel Baptist"; later to the "Regular Baptist Church"; and still later to its current name, "Mount Pisgah."
Part-time  ministry
          For 40 years the church was a one-fourth time ministry, with the pastors preaching four sermons each trip for a salary of $24 per year.  It is reported that the Rev. Stogsdill walked 16 miles to make his appearances.  In 1866 it became a half-time church and the first full-time minister was called in 1957, the  Rev. John Morris.
          The longest period of service for any single minister was that of the Rev. John Reece,  writer of the Brant & Fuller chapter on Baptist history in the county, who served from 1857-1870 and from 1871 to 1885.
          A Sunday school was established in 1863 and the Ladies Aid Society in 1901.  In 1935 an annex was built for Sunday school classes and social gatherings.
Church  remodeled
          By 1946, ideas of remodeling were in the air, so a building fund was begun and a committee named for the task.  Land was purchased and the church moved from its original location to the present site, with the remodeled church geing dedicated in March, 1950.  Total cost of the project was $33,000.  The parsonage was completed in May, 1954.  The final addition, an education byuilding, was dedicated in 1967 at a cost of $65,000.
          According to the current pastor, the  Rev. John Amick,  Mount Pisgah Church has at various times edimissed members to organize other churhces in the area.  Mount Pisgah considers itself the "mother church" for Little Blue River Baptist, established in 1828; Brandywine, 1832, Mount Gilead, 1830; and Shelbyville 1848.
          Four of its members have been licensed to the ministry,  Lewis Morgan,  1891;  James Wood,  1832;  William Pool,  1904; and  John Reese,  1914.
 
Celebration  site
          Current membership in the Mount Pisgah Church is approximately 230 and most will be on hand Sunday, Oct. 17, when the celebration of 150 years begins with a worship service at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday school at 10:30 a.m.
          Following a pitch-in dinner at noon, a special program has been planned for 1:30 p.m., with  Dr. George Hurt,  a member of the staff of the American Baptist Office, Indianapolis, as guest speaker.
          There will also be special music by the choir, portions of  "I Love America,"  and former ministers and guests will be honored.
          A reception will be held after the afternoon program, featuring tours of the church and istorical displays.  A Sesquicentennial booklet also has been prepared for distribution.
          Bob Laird  is chairman of the celebration committee and is assisted by  Virginia Isley,  Susie McClain,  Mildred Coers,  Debbie Wagoner  and  Don Roell.
          The Rev. Amick invites the public to attend.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Thursday, September 1, 1949
Page 1
----------
Saturday, Aug. 27


$25,000  PROJECT  UNDER  WAY -- The $25,000 enlarging and remodeling project at the Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church on the Blue Ridge road is well underway, as seen in the photo above.    The building was moved to an  adjoining  lot from its former site and, when completed, will include a full basement and increased floor space  among  its  facilities  for  the  approximately  150 members of the church.  George Ford,  chairman  of  the  building  committee,  expects  the  job  to  be  completed around  Thanksgiving.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


An  Indianapolis  Newspaper
July 2, 1949
----------
Contact the Indiana State Library for a full copy.
Baptist Church / Mt. Pisgah of Shelbyville will remodel. S. July 2, 1949. p. 9, c. 5


The  Shelbyville  News
June 14, 1949
Page 1
----------
MT.  PISGAH
PROJECT  NOW
WELL  ON  WAY
----------

----------
          A $300,000 remodeling and moving project at the Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church was well under way today with preparations being completed to move the present structure about 500 feet east of its present site onto an adjoining lot.
          THE  84-YEAR-OLD  building will be revamped inside and out.  The remodeling and installation of new facilities is expected to be completed by nest Fall.  The church is located on the Blue Ridge road near Shelbyville.
          THE  CHURCH  first was organized in 1826 and worshippers attended services in a log cabin church until 1863.  Work on the present structure was completed in 1865.  Since that time, there have been four small remodeling projects.  At one time, the church had two front entrances -- one for men and one for women.  However, the practice of keeping men and women separated while at the church was discontinued when the two doors were replaced with one near the turn of the century.
          IN  1935,  AN  aid hall was erected on the church grounds and it has been used for Sunday school rooms for primary classes and for social activities.
          A building fund for the remodeling project was started in 1946.  The committee in charge of finances consists of  Harold Laird,  chairman;  William Kuhn,  Mrs. Russell Coers  and  Mrs. Allen Isley.  The building committee is,  George Ford,  chairman;  Bernard,  Russell  and  Floyd Coers,  James Stafford  and  Glen Kuhn.
          THE  BUILDING  committee has been working under the direction of  Kenneth W. Williams,  Kokomo architect.  The new lot adjoining the present site where the new church will be situated was purchaed by  Mrs. Ed. P. Kuhn  and donated to the church in memory of her father and mother,  Mr. and Mrs. Jim Rees.  The present building, used by approximately 100 members of the congregation each Sunday, is adjacent to the church cemetery.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Monday, October 25, 1926
Page 1
----------
MANY  ATTEND
CHURCH  EVENT
---------
Mt. Pisgah Church Celebrated
One Hundredth Birthday at
Affair Sunday.
----------
HISTORY  WAS  INTERESTING
----------
Records of 100 Years Standing
Were Read by Robert J. Kuhn --
Many Former Pastors and
Members WEre Present.
----------
          Altho weather conditions were somewhat unfavorable Sunday, a crowd of more than 300 persons attended the centennial celebration held at the Mt. Pisgah Baptist church in Addison township Sunday.  The church was founded 100 years ago on October 21, 1826.
          Sunday's program opened with the regular service, including Sunday school and preaching service, with the pastor, the  Rev. W. A. Keel,  preaching the centenial sermon.  Two numbers were sung by the Centenary Quartet of Louisville, Ky.  A basket dinner was served at the close of the preaching.
          At 1:30 o'clock the program was resumed witha song by the quartet, a song by the congregation, followed by the history of the church, which was read by Robert J. Kuhn.  A solo was sung by  Morris H. Sleeth,  of this city, and communications from former pastors were read.  The  Rev. J. S. Rees,  a former pastor spoke, and was followed by the scripture reading and remarks by  T. J. Wheeler,  of Robinson, Ill., a former member.
          Talks were made by a number of former members, including the oldest member present,  Mrs. Hannan Devening,  92 years old.  Congratulations were offered by the  Rev. Mr. Anderson,  of the Mt. Gilead church, followed by a solo by Morris H. Sleeth, and the dismissal.
          Records of the Baptist church of Jesus Christ, at Shelbyville, Shelby county, Ind., constituted on the Third Saturday in October 1926 by the  Rev. Samuel Harding,  Rev. Daniel Stogsdill,  Rev. C. Butler,  Rev. William Oldham  and several other brethern contained the following members, producing their letters of recommendation from their several churches and agreed to their articles of faith, their covenant and rules of Decorum.
          The members at that time were:  George Titus,  William Morris,  Hannah Titus,  Patsy Morris,  James Emmert,  Phoebe Wingate,  Morning Simpson  and  Sally Rippers.
          The church's first clerk was  Lewis Morgan;  first deacons,  George Titus and William Morris.  These first members were faithful and consecrated men and women, holding a weekly prayer meeting at the homes of the various members as at this time they had no meeting house.  The church is the oldest Baptist church in the county.
(Continued on page 6)
          It dismissed members to organize the Little Blue River Baptist in 1828;  Brandywine in 1832;  Mt. Gilead in 1830 and Shelbyville in 1848.  This church is a missionary Baptist church and is affiliated with the Flat Rock Baptist Association and the state conference of the Northern Baptist convention.  For forty years it was a time church their pastors preaching four sermons each trip.  His salary was $24 a year and farm products.  In 1866 under  Elder Reece, it was moved up to half time.  His salary reached $300 a year.  Thruout the years the church has always held its prayer meetings, and this has been a source of the strength in time of need.  This church has also enjoyed a gradual growth thuout the years, receiving members at nearly every meeting.
          Four of its members have been licensed to preach the gospel.  They are  Lewis Morgan,  James V. Wood,  William E. Pool  and  J. S. Rees.  The last two are still preaching.
          At first the church was named the Shelbyville Baptist church until its removal to its present location then it was named Bethe.  It held this name for a short time.  It changed again to the Regular Baptist church at Shelbyville.  In April 1858 it took the name of the Mt. Pisgah Baptist church.  During its life it has received over 1,000 persons by baptisms and a goodly number by letter.  The first persons baptised were  Rosanah  and  Elizabeth Williams.  It also has called counsel to ordain four of its members to the Baptist ministry:  Lewis Morgan, 1832;  William Pool, 1909;  J. D. Rees, 1914 and  Frank Level  in 1915.
          In 1830  James Robertson  proposed to donate the ground for the purpose of building a house of worship.  The church appointed a committee to view the land and report at the next meeting.  The report of the committee was favorable.  They proposed to build a house of logs 28x30 feet with a claboard roof, hued-log seats and a dirt floor.  Alexander Robertson  was selected as the superintendent of construction.  It was dedicated in 1832.  The congregation worshiped in this house for twenty years.  In the year 1854 they removed this house and built a frame building on the same site.  The church was 22x30 with two doors in front and a pulpit between.  This structure was used until 1864 when they sold the building and constructed the present church.  It was dedicated 1885.  The first cost was $2,000 but it has been remodeled from time to time as the needs of the congregation demanded.  The original lot has been enlarged from time to time and now contains about three acres.  In 1915 the church put down a gas well.  This was completed and ready for use as light and heat for $1,125.
          In 1836  David Rife  and  Thomas McCabe  were appointed to purchase supplies for a Sunday school.  It has been in a flourishing condition since that time.  Most of the Baptisms have come from the Sunday school.  The church has had its most successful years from 1860 tp 1926.  In 1901 the Ladies' Aid And Missionary society were organized.  It has been a great help to the church in a financial as well as social and spiritual way.
          Suring the five years of the World War the church gave $1,000 to missions.  The church has never been without [smeared ink] for one full year.  Rev. John Rees  served the church longest being pastor for 27 years.  Rev. Benjamin Rees  comes next with 12 years.  These men were father and son.  The grandfather was also a pastor and served Mt. Gilead for several years.
          Of those members over 70 years, we will name  I. N. Cooper and Mrs. Cooper,  Mrs. Margaret Wheeler,  Mrs. Sarah Bates,  Mrs. Margaret Burgess,  George Jacobs.
          The largest number of additions at any series of meetings were 32 in 1914.  There were former members of this church residing in nearly every state in the union.  Of the families that have contributed to its success are the  Wheelers,  Robertsons,  McCabes,  Midkiffs,  Tennants,  Yarlings,  Burgess',  Rees,  Ford,  Moberly.
          James I. Midkiff  was clerk for 14 years.  J. W. Robertson  served as clerk for 20 years.
          John W. Robertson  willed the church 41,000 at his death.  This was reduced to $925 in the settlement of his estate.  During his life he also paid a large share of the pastor's salary and served the church as clerk for 20 years.
          The permanent fund has been added to from time to time so now we have $1,500 on interest.  he church closes its hundredth year out of debt.
          Its present officers are pastor,  W. A. Keel;  deacons,  R. J. Kuhn,  E. F. Kuhn,  Joseph Gray  and George Jacobs;  clerk  Carrie Core;  treasurer,  Albert Kuhn;  Trustees,  E. P. Kuhn,  Lawrence Coers  and  Ed F. Kuhn.
          As we review its success for 100 years it makes us realize what a heritage is hers.  What a crown of glory her light has shed about in the land.  May her light never grow dim but shine brighter as the years come and go is our prayer.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


The  Shelbyville  Republican
Monday Afternoon, October 25, 1926
Page 1  column 5
----------
THREE  HUNDRED
AT  CENTENNIAL
---------
Services at Mount Pisgah Bap-
tist Church Sunday Most
Interesting.
----------
CHURCH  HISTORY  RECITED
----------
Events in History of Church
Since Organization Read
by R. J. Kuhn.
----------
          Three hundred members of the Mount Pisgah Baptist church, former members, and friends of the church, gathered Sunday to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the organization of the church.  The building, located east of Shelbyville, was filled for the morning and agternoon services.  Interesting programs had been arranged.
          At noon a dinner was served in a tent erected at the side of the church.  There were great piles of the best of food, arranged by the women of the church and community.  The large congregation did full justice to the excellent meal.
          One of the former pastors of the church, the  Rev. J. S. Rees,  who lives near the church, was present for the services, and made a short talk during the day.  Letters had been received from several of the former ministers, and they were read and received with interest.
          Mrs. Hannah Devening,  age ninety-two, a former member of the church, now a member of the Lewis Creek Baptist church, was the oldest person present.  There were twelve of the members present who are more than seventy years old.  Elder T. J. Wheeler,  of Robinson, Illinois, formerly of the Mount Pisgah church, made a short talk, and  John Thompson,  age eighty, who formerly attended the church, also made a few remarks.Congratulations were voiced by members of other churches who attended the centennial services.
          Morris H. Sleeth,  of this city, sang during the morning and afternoon services.
          An interesting history of the church which had been prepared by  Robert J. Kuhn,  was read by Mr. Kuhn at the afternoon meeting.  His story of the organization of the church one hundred years ago, and its history since the date of the organization, was filled with interesting statements.  Mr. Kuhn's story follows:
          One hundred years ago, on October 21, 1826, the  Rev. Samuel Harding,  Rev. Daniel Stogdill,  Rev. C. Butler  and  Rev. William Oldham  brought together ten men and women to found the Shelbyville Baptist church, now called the Mt. Pisgah Baptist church, the first of the denomination in Shelby county.  The people who brought their letters to the first meeting were:  George Titus,  William Morris,  Hannah Titus,  Patsy Morris,  James Emmett,  Pheba Emmett,  Sally Satewood,  Catherine Wingate,  Morning Simpson,  and  Sally Rippers.  George Titus and William Morris were the first deacons, and  Lewis Morgan  was the first clerk.
          These first members were faithful men and women, holding their weekly meetings together in their homes for eight years.  The name was changed to Bethel when the church was moved to its present location, then later to the Regular Baptist church, and then to the name it now retains.
          During its life it has received more than 1,000 members by Baptisms and many by letters.  The first persons baptised were  Rosanah and Elizabeth Williams.  It has licensed four of its members to the ministry,  Lewsi Morgan, 1891,  James V. A. Wood, 1832,  William E. Pool,  1904, and  J. S. Rees,  1914.
          At various times it has dismissed members to organize the following churches:  Little Blue, 1828;  Brandywine, 1832;  Mt. Gilead, 1830;  and Shelbyville, 1848.  For 40 years it was a one-fourth time church, the pastor preaching four sermons each trip, with a salary of $24 per year.
          In 1830  James Robinson  donated ground for the church house.  Alexander Robertson  was appointed superintendent of construction of the house, which was built of logs 28 feet by 30 feet.  The seats were made out of hewn logs and the floor was of dirt.  In 1854 a frame house was built on the same location and in 1864 the church which is occupied today was built, but has been remodeled several times.  The original lot has been englarged until it now contains about three acres of ground.
          A Sunday school was established in 1863 with  David Rife  and  Thomas McCabe  appointed to purchase supplies with which to start it.  The Ladies' Aid Society was organized in 1901.  Rev. John Rees  was minister of the church for the longest period in its history, 27 years, and his,  Benjamin Reece  served for 12 years.
          John W. Robertson,  who had served the church for twenty years, left it $1,000 in his will, and the permanent fund has been added to from time to time until it now contains $1,500.
          During the one hundred years since its founding the church has had 34 pastors:  Samuel Butler,  William C. Butler,  Dan Stogdill,  A. Bohanon,  Ben Reece,  James Smith,  James Pavey,  Rev. Fleming,  William Moore,  John Feris,  Isaac Christie,  John Reece, A. C. Humes,  John Reece,  C. T. Roberts,  J. T. Nutall,  J. F. Crewe,  N. G. Miller,  Rev. Periclear,  J. Hughes,  Clem Rickets,  R. N. Harvey,  I. B. Morgan,  W. W. Smith,  W. C. Monroe,  E. E. McDuffie,  Morton Pattee,  J. L. Sherrell,  Frank Level,  A. J. Croy,  W. D. Bell,  J. S. Rees  and  William A. Keel.
          The present officers are  William A. Kell,  pastor,  R. J. Kuhn,  E. F. Kuhn,  Joseph Gray  and  George Jacobs,  deacons;  Carrie Coers,  clerk;  Albert Kuhn,  treasurer and  E. P. Kuhn,  Lawrence Coers  and  Ed F. Kuhn,  trustees.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Tuesday, December 14, 1919
--------o--O--o--------
LECTURE  AT  MT. PISGAH
----------
          Rev. R. S. Candell, of Ohio, will deliver a lecture Friday evening, Dec. 19, at the Mt. Pisgah church of the Blue Ridge parish.  His subject for the evening will be "A Life Worth While."  He omes with splendid recommendations and it will be worth while for everyone who can to hear him.
Submitted by Phyllis Miller Fleming
   Picture contributed by Amy Derrickson



The  Daily  Democrat
Shelbyville, Indiana
Thursday, February 25, 1915
Page 2   column 3 - 5
----------
MT.  PISGAH  BOYS
KNOW  HOW  TO  WORK
----------
Spent All Day Chopping
Wood For Church -- Other
Community Items.
----------
          The young men of the Mt. Pisgah Sunday school spent a most pleasant and profitable day Thursday in the  Jacob Coers  woods.  The Mt. Pisgah church is soon to invest in a new musical instrument and the boys, to bring up their "end of the string" of finances, chopped wood all day for Mr. Coers.  Of course, the boys got hungry and  Will Midkiff  and  Walla Weakley  were the tood Samaritans and prepared the noon-day meal.  There were seventeen in number and from the way the roast chicken and other good "eats" vanished one could tell the boys had been working.  Two things were accomplished:  Mr. Coers got several cords of wood chopped, and the boys realized a neat little sum of money to be paid on the new musical instrument.  It is reported the  Chester Demott  broke four ax handles.
          Mr. and Mrs. Elisha Vanarsdall,  of Shelbyville, spent Wednesday with his daughter,  Mrs. Lawrence Coers,  and family.  Mr. Vanarsdall was also celebrating his sixty-ninth birthday anniversary and to more fully celebrate he and his good wife attended prayer meeting at Mt. Pisgah and he was leader for the evening.  A good crowd was in attendance and all enjoyed the meeting to the fullest extent and wish Mr. Vanarsdall many more birthdays and hope he and his wife will meet with us many times.
          Mrs. Robert Kuhn  spent Wednesday in Shelbyville the guest of her aunt,  Mrs. Monroe Goodrich.
          Mrs. Charles Moore  spent Tuesday in Shelbyville the guest of her daughter,  Mrs. Walter Robertson.
          W. B. Miller,  of Shelbyville, the genial sewing machine manager, was looking after the interests of the company in and about Blue Ridge, Thursday.  He called upon  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Moore  as he passed thru out community.  The two families are old acquaintances, Mr. Moore and Mr. Miller having worked together for the company a few years ago at Columbus, Ind.
          Mrs. Albert Oldfield  is no better at this writing, not being able to leave her bed.  She is suffering from rheumatism.
          Mrs. Josephine Moore  spent Wednesday with  Mrs. Katie Piper,  of Shelbyville.  In the afternoon they attended the Lady Maccabee sewing circle, which met at the home of  Mrs. Nancy Watts.
          Joseph Gray,  after several weeks; illness, was able to go to Shelbyville Thursday.  His many friends are glad to see him out again.
          The Ladies' Aid met with  Mrs. Cora Ford,  Thursday afternoon, not only for pleasure, but business as well, and the way that crowd of ladies plied their needles was a signt to behold.  One quilt was finished and another pieced and finished from the beginning.  Also lace was crocheted and embroidery done.  Little  Miss Margaret Kuhn,  daughter of  Mr. and Mrs. John Kuhn,  of Shelbyville, favored the ladies with recitations and several songs, which were enjoyed greatly.  Mrs. Ford served a lap supper.  They adjourned at four o'clock to meet again in two weeks.  The next meeting will be held at the church and there will be quilting to do.
          A gentleman friend of the  Rev. Frank Level  was in our community in the interest of a book upon Sunday school work.  Miss Cameron  was quite interested and may take up the work n our vicinity.
          Miss Cleora Bates  reports fishing as being good these days.
          Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kuhn entertained a number of relatives Friday.  Those that were present to enjoy the day and especially the sumptuous dinner at the noon hour were  Mrs. Catherine Kuhn,  mother of Robert Kuhn;  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Laird,  and son,  Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Kuhn,  Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kuhn  and two children and  Mr. and Mrs. Dan Kuhn  and little daughter,  Edith.  Another brother was kept from meeting with them on account of sickness in his family, which was regretted very much.
          Mrs. Paul Fischer  and sons,  Basil  and  Kenneth,  and little daughter,  Pauline,  of Indianapolis, were the guests of their aunt,  Mrs. Charles Moore  and family Saturday, and Sunday they went to Blue Ridge to spend a week with  Mr. and Mrs. Fred Gahimer,  Mrs. Fischer's mother.
          Warren Purvis  received word Saturday of the death of his brother at Morgantown, Friday.
          G. B. Burgess,  or "Grandpa" as everybody calls him, has been quite ill the past week with la grippe.  As he is ninety-six years of age, his many friends hope his illness will be of short duration and very light.
          Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Kuhn  and little son,  Walter,  were Sunday visitors with Mrs. Kuhn's grandmother,  Mrs. Sarah Bates.
          Mrs. L. C. Harney  and  Mrs. John Kuhn,  of Shelbyville, spent Thursday afternoon with the Ladies Aid which met with  Mrs. Porter Ford.
          Mr. and Mrs. William Bates  and daughter,  Cleora,  and son,  Chandos,  entertained Thursday evening.  Mrs. Sarah Bates  and son,  CharlieMisses Minnie  and  Esta Donica,  of the Cave neighborhood, and  Mabel Jones,  Charlie Archie, Jr.,  Claud Fulpa  and  Oscip Fischer.  Music, games and social conversation was indulged in until late "bed" time.
          Mr. and Mrs. Warren Purvis  will finish moving this week, having already moved thirty loads to their new home near Marion.
  They will be missed in our community, but our loss will be the Marion community's gain.  Best wishes go with them.
          Mrs. Malinda Holcraft,  of Shelbyville, is visiting her borther,  Pete Fulps,  and family.
          Misses Marie  and  Jessie Coers  spent Saturday and Sunday the guest of  Sheriff Henry Terry  and family at their home southeast of Shelbyville.
          The  William Demott  sale was well attended and the Ladies Aid, which served lunch, realized a neat sum of money for their efforts.
          Mrs. Ida Keith,  of Shelbyville, was the guest of  Mrs. Maud Demott  the first of the week.
          The little grandson of  Mr. and Mrs. John McLaughlin,  who has been quite ill, is some better at this writing.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


The  Daily  Democrat
Shelbyville, Indiana
February 12, 1915
Page 4   column 3
----------
FINISHED  ONE  QUILT
AND  STARTED  ANOTHER
----------
Thursday Busy Day For Mt.
Pisgah Ladies' Aid -- Big
Dinner At Noon.
----------
          The Ladies' Aid Society of the Baptist church at Mt. Pisgah held an all-day meeting Thursday at the home of  Mr. and Mrs. William Demott  near the church.  The meeting was planned not only because of the work that could be done by so large a crowd, but that they might get together for a good social time.  Both purposes were well served, for the ladies finished quilting one quilt and pieced another during the day, and in the evening they were all of one accord in saying that it was the most enjoyable day the society members had ever spent together.  There were twenty-eight of the members and visitors.
          The most strenuous contest of the day took place at the noon hour when the ladies at the quilts dropped their work and tried to see which could get to the table first.  None of them fell down the stairway, but several had narrow escapes.  The dinner was a grand one, the table being loaded with all the good things imaginable in the line of "eats."  Following the dinner an excellent musical program was enjoyed before the ladies returned to their work.
          Those enjoying the hospitality of the Demott home were  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Moore  and her son,  Oscip Fischer,  Mrs. James Reece,  Mrs. Alfred Kuhn,  Mrs. John McLaughlin,  Mrs. George Jacobs,  Mrs. Sallie Bates,  Mrs. Lawrence Coers,  Mrs. Scott Midkiff,  Mrs. Will Midkiff,  Mrs. Charles Moberly,  Mrs. Dan Kuhn,  Mrs. L. C. Harney,  Mrs. Porter Ford,  Misses Marie Coers,  Jessie Coers,  Jessie Cameron  and  Margaret Weakley.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chadwick's History of Shelby Co., Ind.                157

          "The next Baptist church to be organized in Shelby county was that at Shelbyville.  Rev. Samuel Harding  and  Rev. D. Stogsdil  were induced to visit the town and preach to the few Baptist families there found.  It was on the third Sunday in October, 1826, when the Baptist church was organized at this point.  The charter members were:
George Titus,
William Morris,
James Emmit,
Hannah Titus,
Patsy Morris,
Pheobe Emmit,
Sally Gatewood,
Catherine Wingate,
Morning Simpson  and
Sally Hippers
, Making ten in all.

Chadwick's History of Shelby Co., Ind.                158

          This church was called "Shelbyville" until the location of the church was changed to a point four miles to the east and the name changed to that of Bethel.  It, however, retained this name only a short time because of its removal to Shelbyville, when it took the name of Mount Pisgah.  For about eight years the services were held in private houses, but in December, 1832, the church resolved to build a house in which to worship.  This was a log house twenty-eight by thirty-six feet in size.  For seats, rude benches were hewed out of logs.  While rough was the place the people who there worshiped had the true spirit of Chrisitanity in their souls.  This house was used until 1853, when the log house was removed and a frame house erected, that was twenty-two by thirty feet.  This was occupied until 1865, when two thousand dollars was expended for the erection of a frame building, thirty-six by fifty feet.  The first pastor was Rev. Samuel Harding  and among the first was Rev. D. Stogsdell,  who was a very earnest minister, and not infrequently walked sixteen miles to meet his appointments.  Rev. J. Reece served this church for twenty-seven years, and in 1887 it had a membership of one hundred and ten.  At present the membership is one hundred and thirty-five.

[Chadwick's discussion of the Baptist denomination moves to First Baptist Church of Shelbyville]
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana, by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by well known local talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers:  Indianapolis, IN, 1909, page 157-159.
Submitted by Marita Bolson


The  Daily  Democrat
Page 2   column 2
----------
MT.  EDEN.
----------
Special Correspondence to The Democrat.
MT.  EDEN, Ind., June 24, 1896.
          Wheat cutting is nearly completed in this locality.
          Will Sleeth,  of Pleasant Hill, is a regular caller in these parts.
          Mrs. Lemuel Gatewood  is in a critical condition from consumption.
          Prof. Reed  is writing a book on Girlology.  It will be the latest out when completed.
          A social was given at the home of  Charlie Hatfield  Saturday evening.  All report a good time.
          There will be church at Mt. Pisgah Sunday morning and evening.  All turn out and give  Rev. Ricketts  a full house.
          Ed. Hatfield  has attended Sunday school at Mt. Pisgah for three years, not missing a Sunday.  He should be given a chromo.
          Will Reed  and  Fred Vaught  sold out to see how much they were worth.  They have their money invested in Government Bonds.
SLICKER    
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Church Index       Main Page

For current email addresses of researchers listed above, see the Surname Index