The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Shelbyville, Ind., Friday, February 14, 1913.
Page 1
          Mrs. Margaret Edwards  and daughter, Miss Betsy, were shopping in Indianapolis today.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The Indianapolis Star
Marion County, Indiana
May 29, 1910
May Edward
, Held for Wounding Huls and Hedrick
Near Washington, Asserts Innocence.
Interviewed in Cell, Prisoner Recites Tale of
Indignities Previously Suffered by Her.
         WASHINGTON, Ind., May 28. --- (Special) --- Seated in her cell of the woman's ward of the Daviess County Jail this evening, Mrs. May Edwards, charged with attempt to commit murder, in shooting  Turner Huls  and  William Hedrick  from ambush yesterday evening, seems unconcerned, as if she were employed in her usual household duties upon the farm.  Huls, one of the pair whom the woman admits she shot, saying she was justified ten times over, lies in a critical condition at his home, with more than a hundred No. 8 shots in his head and shoulders, and the physicians say he will probably dies.  William Hedrick has so far recovered from his injuries, as to able to come to the city today and swear out a warrant against Mrs. Edwards.
Woman Tells Her Story.
          Immediately after being placed in jail at 5 o'clock this morning, Mrs. Edwards retained  Odgon and Inman, after a conference she was arraigned, pleaded not guilty and was placed under a $1,000 bond, which had not been furnished late this evening.
          When first arrested the woman talked freely, and in answer to a question as to why she fired the shot said:  "Huls and Hedrick, both apparently intoxicated, came up to the porch at our little cabin and splke to  John Edwards  my husband, who were seated on the porch.  They responded,  When I saw who the men were I ordered Huls from the place and in reply he pulled a pistol from his pocket and uttering an oath declared he 'didn't have to.'  I told him he did, and in the meantime I reached back by the porch door and secured a shotgun.  My husband wrenched the weapon from my hand.  I again ordered Huls to leave the premises and for the second time he drew his revolver and declared he 'didn't have to.'
Describes Firing Shot.
          "I seized the shotgun from my husband and with his act of drawing his pistol for the second time I raised the gun to my shoulder, and just as he wheeled to leave fired, the shot taking effect in his back and head.  He was then about fifteen feet from me on the south side of the house.
          "Had you and Huls had trouble at any time before?"  was asked.
        "Yes.  On the night of May 11, 1909, Huls and a man named  Harry Smith, who then lived at French Lick, approached me about dusk in our yard, where I had gone to secure a bucket of water, and forcibly dragged me to where twenty-five young men were drinking.  Since this occurrence, which I have kept secret from my husband and all, I have forbidden anybody from trespassing on our premises."
          Hedrick, who swore to the affidavit, says that when the woman ordered them off the place, they immediately started to obey but that she fired before they could leave the premises.  Huls is in such a condition that no statement could be secured.
Contributed by Marsha Ensminger

The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Saturday, October 5, 1907
          The Reverend C. C. Edwards,  of Moore's Hill, arrived there today to remain over Sunday when the Harvest Home celebration at the First M. E. chruch[sic] takes place.  While here he is the guest of  Mr. and Mrs. ... [my copy ends here].
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday, November 16, 1905
         Miss Maude Watts  spent Sunday with her grand-father,  Eli Edwards,  of Brandywine township.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday, July 2, 1885
page 2, column 2
Indicating a Murder of Sixty Years Ago
A Gun of Peculiar Make Found in a Tree
Where It Was Hid in 1826
          The first clew toward the solution of a mystery which has remained unsolved for sixty years was discovered a short time ago by the finding of an old gun in a hollow tree some eighteen miles south of this city by a boy who had chased a rabbit in a hole at the root of the tree, and was trying to reach him with his hand, the other day.  The gun was identified by Rev. J. H. Edwards, pastor of the First Christian church in this city, as belonging to his grandfather, Jacob Edwards, who disappeared one Sunday in the fall of 1826, and was never seen or heard of since that time.  The gun corresponded to the description which has been kept by the family, and was identified by the Mr. William Records, aged eighty-four years, who was a near neighbor of the man who disappeared, and from whose lips the Rev. Edwards verified the story handed down to him by his father.  The facts are briefly as follows:
          In the spring of 1826, Mr. Jacob Edwards, then a man about fifty-five years of age, removed with his wife, four sturdy sons and three buxom daughters, from near Bargetown, Kentucky, to New Hope, just across the line of this and in the adjoining county of Bartholomew.  There he purchased a small farm, on a portion of which he at once put in a crop.  He had but little money, but had a number of horses which he expected to trade for land and sell when necessary, and if he had any enemies they were left behind him in Kentucky.  One Sunday morning, in the fall of 1826, after he had been out feeding his stock, he came in, and told his wife that the squirrels, which were so numerous in those days as to prove perfect pests, were eating up his corn crop, and taking up his gun, and telling her that he would go out and shoot some of them and would be back in a little while, stepped out the door, and was never seen again by his wife or family, the former dying in 1848, believing to the day of her death that her husband had been murdered.  For days, after his absence had created alarm, the country was scoured by parties of men for many miles around, but had the earth opened and swallowed him up, there could not have been less clews to the mystery of his disapperance, though it was the general belief at the time that he had been murdered and his body concealed, and the finding of the gun as above mentioned is the only trace of him ever discovered.
          The gun was found, as above stated, in a hollow tree on Jackson Pruitt's farm, and readily identified on account of his peculiar make.  It was a percussion lock gun, a style very rare sixty years ago, with the hammer on the underside, and the ramrod was fixed on one side.  When found it was badly rusted, the stock loose, though still retaining its shape, but the ramrod had become so soft that it crumbled when touched.  It has been suggested since the finding that the old gentleman was murdered by some one who envied him the possession of the gun, and after obtaining the weapon the murderer became fearful that it would be identified, being an uncommon weapon in those days, and hid it where it was found, some two and a half miles from where its lawful owner lived.
Contributed by Barb Huff

The  Shelby  Republican
Shelbyville, Indiana
December 19, 1878
          Mrs. Missouri Edwards, of Moral tp., a former inmate of the Insane Asylum, has been declared again insane by her physician, Dr. P. C. Leavitt.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  Republican
Thursday, December 12, 1872

Dissolution of Copartnership.
          Notice is hereby given, that the copartnership heretofore existing under the firm name of  Brinson & Edwards has this day been dissolved by mutual consent, L. B. Brinson continuing in the business at the old stand.  All persons knowing themselves indebted to the old firm are requested to call upon Mr. Brinson, and settle the same immediately.

Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Newspaper Index       Main Page