Shelby  County  Indiana
Newspaper  Articles


The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Thursday, August 15. 1907
Page 1   Column 3
An Event Occurring Accord-
ing to Arrangements Made
a Half a Century Ago --
Members of Family Scat-
tered Over Country.
          To hold a family reunion every fifty years is certainly an unique affair, and very few members, doubtless, attend more than one reunion.  Such, however, has been the custom of the descendents of  Simon Huntington,  who with his wife and children left the shores of England in 1663 and started for this country.
          Septimus Huntington,  one of the descendents of Simon Huntington, removed to Shelby county in 1821, and settled in Sugar Creek township.  This was the earliest settlement in Sugar Creek township.  Septimus Huntington had six children, the descendents of whom are widely scattered, the descendents of the late Dr. Huntington, a son, moving somewhere in the west, those of the late  George Huntington  and the son living in Greenwood, Johnson county, and the sons and daughters of the late  Henry Huntington,  a third son and prominent while living in county affairs, living in Oklahoma with the exception of County Auditor-elect  George B. Huntington,  of Fairland.
          The Democrat is in receipt of the following letter from Attorney  James Huntington,  of Woodbury Conn.:
          Woodbury, Conn., Aug. 13, 1907.
The Democrat,
                Shelbyville, Ind.
          Gentlemen -- In 1819, Septimus G. Huntington removed from Coventry, Conn., and located in Shelby county.  He had several children.  Two daughters married and located in Franklin, and their sons in Sugar Creek township, in Shelby county.  Presuming that there are descendents from him in both the male and female line in your vicinity, I enclose a notice from the Hartford (Conn.) Daily Courant, of August 2.
          The Democrat, I find, has a large circulation in Shelby county and vicinity.  Will you please publish the enclosed as a news item, hoping that it may reach some in the male or female line of the Huntingtons, who will be glad to visit the old home, from which all of the name in this country originated.  Respectfully,
          We also append the clipping from the Hartford (Conn.) Daily Courant:
          "On September 3, 1857, the descendents of Simon Hungtnton, who had been having a reunion in the First Congregation church, Norwich, adjourned to meet again in fifty years.  As the time for the adjourned meeting falls on the third day of next month, it is expected that all members of the big Huntington family will assemble at the old meeting place and become once more reunited.
          "Letters are being sent to all available addresses and it is beleved[sic] that this second reunion will be as memorable as was the first.  A meeting of the representatives of the Huntington family residing in this city was held on June 29, this year, at the home of the Rev.  John T. Huntington,  Henry G. Huntington,  Edward F. Huntington,  S. G. Huntington,  William A. Huntington and  R. Thomas Huntington.  This committee has been doing everything in its power to reach members of the different branches of the family all over the country, but it has been difficult work, as so many years have elapsed since the first reunion.  R. Thomas Huntington of No. 75 Laurel street is secretary of the committee and is desirous of communicating with all those contemplating attending the reunion.
          "It is expected that the faimly[sic] will meet in the same church as it did fifty years ago and it is possible that the adjournment will be made in a similar unique manner."
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday May 10, 1906
Page 6 column 3
Building To Be Removed to Make Room For New Station
One Of Oldest In City
          The erection of the new interurban station on north Harrison street means the removal of an old structure that for many years has been a landmark in Shelbyville.  The old-fashioned, two-story frame building known as the Cottage Hotel, is familiar to all our citizens, but few know that this house is a sturdy survivor of the earliest pioneer days of Shelby county.
          The exact date at which it was built is not known, but it is certain that it was some time in the early twenties.  Captain Chandler Huntington, one of the early settlers of the county and one of the first Masons to take up his residence here, had the house constructed as early at least as the laying out of Shelbyville in 1822.
          Royal Mayhew  married a daughter of Captain Huntington and later purchased the Huntington residence.  He lived in the house until he removed to Indianapolis in 1844 to take up the duties as treasurer of state which office he had just been elected.  At that time the house was arranged much on the same plan as at present.  Mr. Mayhew, who was a practicing attorney, had his office downstairs, and the rooms occupied by the family were located upstairs.
          On October 17, 1833, the marriage of  Elbridge Gerry Mayhew, a brother of Royal, to  Sarah Smith, occurred.  The marriage ceremony was performed in the front parlors upstairs and was quite an event in the life of Shelbyville of that day.  The contracting parties were the parents of  Ed Mayhew  and  Miss Amanda Mayhew, of this city, and  Elijah Mayhew, now of Denver, formerly at Washington in the government service.  It is with reference to his marriage that the age of the old house is most easily determined, as at that time the building was between ten and fifteen years old.  It is built in the substantial methods employed in those days, the sills being made of oak logs, trimmed by the adze and fastened together by oak pins.  So excellent was the construction that today it is in good condition and could be moved as easily as houses built within the last few years.
Contributed by Barb Huff

The  Shelby  Democrat
December 31, 1891
Page 3
          Mr. Thomas Huntington  announces himself to-day as a candidate for the office of Sheriff.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Shelbyville  Weekly  Volunteer
Thursday, October 30, 1879
A Sad Accident
(From Daily of Monday.)
          On Saturday p.m. as  Mrs. Henry Huntington,  of Sugar Creek Township, who had been visiting  Mrs. Robert Stewart,  on the corner of Jackson and Vine Streets, was preparing to go home, accompanied by her little son,  Frank,  and little  Willie Stewart,  the horse attached to the buggy took fright and ran away.  The occupants of the buggy were thrown out at the corner of Washington and Vine Streets.  Mrs. Huntington received a deep wound on the left side of her head, producing considerable injury to the left eye, and was otherwise badly bruised about the body.  Her little son, Frank, had his right arm broken, just above the wrist.  Little Willie Stewart fortunately escaped without injury.  The injured parties were conveyed back to the residence of Robert Stewart, when Dr. J. W. Parrish was called in and dressed their wounds.  The parties injured are getting along as well as could be expected.  Frank was taken home on Saturday evening.  Mrs. Huntinton still remains at the residence of Mr. Stewart, not beingable to be removed.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Newspaper Index       Main Page

For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index