Shelby  County  Indiana
Newspaper  Articles

Strickler


Unknown  Newspaper
Unknown date, c1940
Becomes Bride
[picture]
          In a ceremony read Sunday afternoon at Morristown  Miss Claire Strickler  of Indianapolis became the bride of  Miles Robert Hession,  son of  Mrs. Jennie Hession  of Pittsboro.
          Dr. J. W. McFall, pastor of the Shelbyville First Methodist Church, officiated.
          The couple will be at home after Oct. 1 at 3340 North Meridian street.  The bride attended Indiana University and is a member of Kappa Kappa Sigma sorority.  Mr. Hession attended Central Normal College.
Submitted by Phyllis Miller Fleming


A  Shelbyville, Indiana, Newspaper
Unknown date, c1940
Recent Bride
[picture]
----------
          Mrs. Melor Drewes  is the former  Miss Charlotte Stricker,  sister of  Miss Elizabeth Strickler, 520 Sutherland Avenue.  Her marriage took place May 13.  The bridegroom is the son of  Mr. and Mrs. Karl Drewes,  LaPorte.  The couple is at home in Valparaiso.
[This was found in the scrapbook of Orpha VANARSDALL Fleming,1886-1949.  Orpha's first cousin, Hazel Nelle MURPHY, married Carl STRICKLER in 1911.  At this time, that is my only known connection.]
Submitted by Phyllis Miller Fleming


The  Shelbyville  Republican
June 18, 1934
Page 2
----------
SOCIETY  EVENTS
----------
Please telephone Club Announcements and other
Social News to the Society Editor, Number 36.
----------
To  Lake  McCoy
----------
          Lawrence Anspaugh,  Claire Strickler,  Raymond Snapp,  Charlotte Tinker,  Don Rohm,  Doris Hoyer,  James Mills  and  Catherine Hoyer  were visitors at Lake McCoy [Decatur County] last night
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming


The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday, October 17, 1895
Page 3, column 1
------------
          About one hundred and twenty-five persons assembled at the residence of George W. Strickler, of Boggstown, on Wednesday the 9th inst., to see Mr. Strickler and wife honor their golden wedding.  The Rev. T. P. Pell, assisted by Mr. Guthrie, of Fairland, and the Presbyterian minister of Boggstown, performed the marriage ceremony.  This done the children and friends of the re-wedded couple gave them a number of presents, most of them both beautiful and costly.  A splendid dinner was enjoyed by the guests and closed with  "God bless you, shake hands."  The whole was a manifestation of a high order of social enjoyment.  Long may the re-wedded couple live to enjoy life.
Submitted by Barb Huff


The  Daily  Evening  Democrat
Shelbyville, Indiana
Wednesday, September 7, 1881
----------
MARRIED.
----------
The Marriage of  Harry D. Gibson  and
Miss Ida M. Strickler  Last Even- ing at Boggstown.
----------
          For some time past the cards of invitation for the marriage of  Harry D. Gibson  to  Miss Ida M. Strickler,  have been issued requesting their many friends to witness their marriage on the evening of September 6th, 1881.  On last evening the friends, to the number of one hundred from Boggstown, the surrounding country and from this city, assembled at the elegant residence of the bride's father, Mr. George Strickler.  Everything being in readiness, at half past seven o'clock the happy pair made their appearance in the handsomely decorated parlors, preceded by  Rev. G. D. Marsh,  and followed by  Miss May Elliott  and  Mr. John Horst,  attendants.  The bride was dressed in dotted Swiss, trimmed in lace, made with overskirt and basque.  She wore orange flowers in her hair and at her belt, and had on six button kid gloves and shoes to match, and looked very charming.  The bridesmaid, Miss May Elliott, wore white tarlton, made princesse, trimmed with white satin, and with white satin overdress, and sustained her reputation as one of the loveliest looking girls in the State.  The bridegroom and "best man," were in the usual conventional style, and presented a very nobby appearance.
          After the ceremony, which was performed in a very impressive manner, and after receiving the congratulations of friends, all were invited out to supper, where everything that could please the palate was upon the table.  The bridal couple took the ten o'clock train for Peoria, Ill., last evening, where they will spend a few days visiting friends.  The presents were numerous and valuable, a partial list of which is as follows:
          An elegant gold inlaid card receiver from  Mr. and Mrs. Pleas. Griffey;  pair solid silver napkin rings from sisters of bride; solid silver berry spoon from  Miss May Elliott;  set of silver teaspoons from  Mr. and Mrs. Dr. J. F. Maddox;  pair silver napkin rings from  William McConnell;  one hundred dollars from  C. A. Gibson,  father of the bridegroom.
          Among these present were the following ladies and gentlemen from this city:  Mr. and Mrs. Pleas. Griffey;  Mr. and Mrs. Dr. Maddox;  Rev. G. D. Marsh,  wife and sister;  Harry Parsons  and  Miss Mollie Webb;  D. L. Wilson  and  Miss Edith Sims,  of Columbus;  E. G. Lohmeyer  and  Miss Carrie Levinson;  Misses Ella Roberts  and  Emma Wray.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Newspaper Index       Main Page

For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index