Shelby  County  Indiana


The  Shelbyville  News
Monday, March 18, 2013
          Audrey M. Bass,  93, of Shelbyville, passed away Thursday, March 14, 2013, at Ashford Place Health Campus.
          She was born June 21, 1919, to  Harry Norvell  and  Rexie (Kuhn) Norvell  in Morristown.  She married  Bernard Bass  June 1, 1941, and he preceded her in death April 26, 1993.
          Survivors include two daughters,  Barbara Ann Nickel  of Shelbyville and  Sue Allgood  (husband Phil)  of Indianapolis; son,  Mert Bass  (wife Suzie)  of Shelbyville; three grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; two stepgrandchildren; and six stepgreat-grandchildren.
          She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; daughter,  Rose Marie Bass; nine brothers and sisters; granson,  Scott Bass;  and son-in-law,  Michael B. Nickel.
          Mrs. Bass was a lifetime resident of the area.  She was a homemaker and had worked for several years as a nurse's aide at Major Hospital, at KCL Corp, and at G.C. Murphy Co.  She was a longtime member of Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church where she was the oldest living member.  She also was a member of Fraternal Order of Eagles Auxillary of Rushville.  Audrey enjoyed square dancing, bowling, fishing and camping, spending the winters in Florida and telling stories.
          Burial will be at Mt. Pisgah Cemetery in Shelby County.  In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church Building Fund.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Edna M. Bass, 88, of Shelbyville, died Sunday, April 4, 2010.
Born Feb. 12, 1922, Shelbyville, to  Vera (Watts) Givens.
Survivors:  sons, Michael Hamilton of Good Rich, Ariz.,  Thomaz Shane (wife, Concecion) of Gulf Breeze, Fla., and Eric Brown (wife, Angie) of Geneva; daughter, Phyllis Brown (significant other, Lora Furgeson) of Shelbyville; grandchildren,  Michael “Richy” Hamilton II,  Kelsay Hamilton,  Julian Hamilton,  Angela Bowman,  Juan Shane,  Marisa Grande,  Andreas Brown,  Eric Brown II  and  Tameca Hamilton;  10 great-grandchildren.
Preceded in death by her mother; brothers, Moses “Bo” Givens  and  William “Chuck” Givens; and grandson, Juaque Hamilton.
Retired from General Electric/Wellman Thermal Systems after 17 years of service.  Employed in the housekeeping department at Major Hospital for five years.
Loved being with her family, expressed that by her pictures present in every room. Loved to tell stories of Shelbyville and the people who lived here. Loved watch the Indiana Pacers on television.
Outside activities included sitting on the porch, “sweeping the side walk,” going for rides, working in the yard.
Biggest pleasure was spending time with her great-grandkids, laughing with the grandkids, watching “The Young and the Restless,” saying “P.S. Don’t throw cigarette butts in my grass.”
Murphy-Parks Funeral Service and Crematory, 703 S. Harrison St.
Summarized by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Monday, March 9, 2009
          Jerold D. "Jerry" Bass,  69, of Bloomington died friday, March 6, 2009, at his home.  Born Jan. 25, 1940, in Shelbyville, he was the son of  Harold Talbert  and  Joyce Aline (Hardin) Bass.
          Survivors include his son,  Jeff (wife, Penny) Bass  of Windemere, Fla.;  brothers,  Kevin,  (wife, Janet) Bass  of Kokomo and  Marvin (wife, Mary) Bass  of Bloomington; and numerous nieces and nephews.  He was preceded in death by his parents and daughter,  Amy Michelle Bass.
          Mr. Bass was the state's leading scorer his senior year at Morristown High School and was on the Indiana High School All-star team.  Also known as "Chigger,"  he played basketball at Indiana University from 1958 to 1962, under  Branch McCracken,  and was All-American in 1962.
          He was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity and BPOE No. 446 in Bloomington.  While raising his children in Florida, he was an avid fisherman and continued participation in basketball.
          Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Freeman Family Funeral Homes, Frazier Chapel, 124 E. North St. in Morristown.  Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
          Burial will be in Hanover Cemetery in Morristown.  Memorial contributions may be made to Morristown Boys and Girls Club.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Wednesday, December 7, 2005
          Scott A. Bass,  35, of Fairland, died Monday, Dec. 5, 2005, at his home.  Born Feb. 14, 1970, in Peru, he was the son of  Merdith and  Suzanne M. (Swegman) Bass.
          Survivors include his parents, of Shelbyville; one daughter,  Katie Bass  of Shelbyville; two sons,  Andrew Spurling  of Shelbyville, and  Scott A. Bass Jr.  of Fairland; one sister,  Kelly R. (Mike) Bonte  of Shelbyville; and fiancee,  Anjanette Cravens  of Fairland.
          Mr. Bass was a lifelong Shelby County resident.  He was a self-employed electrician and had been employed with Drakes Electric and Rush-Hickman Electric for 12 years.  Mr. Bass graduated in 1989 from Shelbyville High School.  He attended Harvest Bible Chapel.
          Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Glenn E. George & Son Funeral Home, 437 Amos Road.  Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Brent Halvorsen officiating.  Burial will be in Mount Pisgah Cemetery in Shelby County.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Tuesday, April 27, 1993
          Bernard Bass,  73, 609 Howard St., died at 4:30 p.m. Monday at Major Hospital.
          Born Sept. 20, 1919, in Shelby County, he was the son of  Carl and  Aleisha (Nugent) Bass.  On June 1, 1941, he married  Audrey Norvell.
          Mr. Bass was a resident of Shelby County for most of his life, where he worked as a sheet metal technician for IPC for nine years until retiring in 1981.  He was the manager of Carter Lumber Lawn and Garden Center for the past four years.  Mr. Bass was a member of the Mount Pisgah Baptist Church, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Fraternal Order of Police auxiliary.
          Survivors are his wife,  Audrey Bass, Shelbyville; daughters,  Mrs. Michael (Barbara) Nickel,  Shelbyville,  Mrs. Philip (Sue) Allgood,  Indianapolis; a son,  Merdith Bass,  Shelbyville; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
          Mr. Bass was preceded in death by two brothers and a sister.
          Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carmony-Ewing Broadway Funeral Home with the Rev. Robb Barlow officiating.  Burial will be in the Mount Pisgah Cemetery, Shelby County.  Memorial contributions may be sent to the Mount Pisgah Baptist Church building fund.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Tuesday, April 27, 1993
          Mrs. Mary Bass,  87, R.R. 2, Shelbyville, died at 4:12 p.m. Friday at Major Hospital, where she had been a patient for one week.  She had been in failing health for several years.  Mrs. Bass, a former Hertiage Manor resident, was born in Van Buren Township on Feb. 17, 1893, a daugher[sic] of  George and  Hettie (Gatewood) Rafferty.  On March 4, 1914 she was married to  Morris Bass,  who preceded in death on Aug. 23, 1971.
          Survivors include three daughers[sic],  Mrs. Bernard (Mary Belle) Kremer,  Shelbyville,  Mrs. Walton (Jean) Carr,  Wanamaker, and  Mrs. Charles (Harriett Lee) McCarty,  Englewood, Ohio, and sister,  Mrs. Fred (Lillian) Morris,  Ithaca, N.Y.  Seven grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren also survive.  Two brothers preceded in death.
          Mrs. Bass was a member of the First Christian Church and was the last surviving charter member of the Marion Township BP Club.
          Services will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the Ewing Mortuary with the Rev. James Horner officiating.  Burial will be in Forest Hill Cemetery.  Friends may call at the Ewing Mortuary between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
November 12, 1964
MRS.  BASS,  85
Teacher's Mother
Dies In Hospital
          Mrs. Mary Gerturde Bass,  85, mother of  Emerson E. Bass,  a teacher at Shelbyville Senior High School, died at 2:30 a.m. today at Major Hospital.  Mrs. Bass was admitted to the hospital Tuesday after she suffered a fall in the back yard of her home at 526 S. Miller St.
          A resident of Shelbyville for the past nine years, Mrs. Bass was a lifelong resident of Shelby County.  She was born in Marion Township on March 2, 1879, the daughter of  Samuel and  Catherine (Yarling) Herthel.  On March 23, 1898, she was united in marriage to  John E. Bass,  who preceded in death.  Surviving with the son are one grandson,  Dan Bass  of Greenwood, and one great-grandchild.
          Mrs. Bass attended Central Normal College and was a teacher in Marion Township before her marriage.  She was a teacher in Marion Township before her marriage.  She was a member of the West St. Methodist Church and the Woman's Society of Christian Service of the church.
          Services will be held Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at the Sleeth Funeral Home with Rev. Jerome Hyde and Rev. James H. Horner officiating.  Burail will be in Forest Hill Cemetery.  Friends may call at the funeral home after 2:00 p.m. Friday.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Monday, May 26, 1952
          Mrs. Julia Bass,  wife of  Jasper Bass,  and former resident of Shelby county, died at her home in Anderson Sunday at 7:00 a.m.  She was about 84 years of age.
          Mrs. Bass had resided in Anderson for a number of years.  She is survived by the husband; one son,  Clinton Bass  of Florida, and two granchildren.  She was a sister-in-law of  Ed and  Orville Bass  and  Mrs. Harry Shutt  of Shelby county.
          Funeral services will be held at the Baker Mortuary in Anderson.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  Democrat
Tuesday, October 28, 1924
          Robert Earl Bass,  infant son of  Mr. and Mrs. Earl Bass,  born at their home, one mile south of this city, at 10 o'clock Monday evening, died at 5:00 o'clock this morning.  The burial was made at 2:00 o'clock this afternoon in the Forest Hill cemetery.  Morris H. Sleeth was the undertaker in charge.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Indianapolis  Star
July 23, 1923
Page 5
          Mrs. Angie Bass  of Shelbyville, Ind., 51 years old, died at the home of her daughter,  Mrs. Mona Dickey, 2010 Barth avenue, yesterday, after an illness of about three weeks.  Mr. Bass had lived practically all her life in Shelby county.  She is survived by two sons,  Emmett  and  Eric Bass, both of Shelbyville, and one daughter,  Mrs. Dickey  of Indianapolis.  The funeral will be held from the home of Mrs. Dickey at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.  Arrangements for the burial have not been completed.
(this was in the next column over)
Bass--Angie,  of Shelbyville, Ind., passed on Saturday, July 21, at the home of her daughter,  Mrs. Mona Dickey, 2010 Barth ave.  Besides the daughter Mrs. Bass is survived by two sons, Emmett and Eric Bass.  Funeral services will be held at 2010 Barth ave., Tuesday afternoon, 2 o'clock, July 24.
Contributed by Janet McColley Franklin

The  Shelbyville  Republican
Monday afternoon, April 24, 1916
Page 1
          The infant son of  Mr. and Mrs. Harry Bass,  of Sugar Creek township, died Sunday night.  Interment was at Brandywine cemetery Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Daily  Democrat
February 4, 1907
Rail Corn Pen Falls as He Is
Shoveling Grain and He Is
Buried Beneath.
Wife Surmises That Something
Has Happened and Runs to
Scene at Once.
          While loading corn from a rail crib into a wagon about eight o'clock this morning,  Roy Bass,  27, of Hendricks township, was crushed to death by the weight of the corn and crib, which fell upon him.  The accident happened on the  John Harding  farm, upon which Bass was a tenant, about one-third of a mile from his home.
          Bass was alone when the accident occurred.  He went to the crib this morning after tending to his chores about the house and barn, and was preparing to haul a load of corn to market.  What caused the crib to topple over is only a matter of conjecture.  The load was the first taken from the crib, and according to his custom, a few rails had been pulled out at the bottom and the wagon was being loaded from this opening.  A few boards from the roof of the crib fell upon the wagon, frightened the horses and they with the partially loaded wagon ran to the house.
          Mrs. Bass saw the team coming and at once surmised that something was wrong.  She ran thru the field to the crib and found a mass of rails and corn spread over the ground.  She realized that her husband was buried beneath the weight of many bushels of corn and woods.  With a scream she ran for help.  Albert Smiley,  who was working in a field near by, came with all speed when he heard the screams, and other neighbors were soon summoned.  John Sandefur,  a relative, was soon at the scene and with the aid of willing hands and shovels the body was removed from the pile of corn.  When uncovered, the body was doubled up and the head was forced down between the lower limbs.
          The body was carried to the house and Coroner McDonald was notified.  The coroner arrived in Shelbyville from his home at London at eleven o'clock and with Sheriff Butler drove to the Bass home.
          Mr. Bass was one of the prominent residents of Hendricks township and a democrat in politics.  He was a kind-hearted husband and father.  His smiling and cheerful face was often seen in Shelbyville and it was only last Saturday that he spent several hours here.  He leaves a wife, a daughter of  Elsbury Thurston,  two sons,  Verl  and  Leo,  aged two and four years.  Until this winter, Mr. Bass taught a district school in his home township, having last year had charge of the White school.  He was well-known among the teachers of the county and was held in high esteem by all.  Besides his immediate family he leaves a mother,  Mrs. Amanda Bass,  of Bengal, and a sister,  Mrs. John R. Sandefur,  who lives near his home.
          One of the sad features of the affair is that today was the second birthday of the younger son, and the proposed family rejoicing over the anniversary of the little fellow, was turned into one of sadness by the untimely death of the father.
          Mr. Bass was a member of the Red Men and Pocahontas tribes of Boggstown.  The funeral services will be held at the Second Mt. Pleasant church, Wednesday morning, at 11 o'clock, the Rev. P. O. Duncan officiating.  Interment in Mt. Pleasant cemetery.  The funeral cortege will leave the house at 10 a.m. Stewart & Fix in charge.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Franklin  Democrat
Friday, April 30, 1897
Volume XXXVII, Number 42
Page 1, column 5
Death of Leonard Bass. ----------
          Leonard Bass,  of Bengal, died Tuesday morning at 11:30 o’clock in this city at the boarding house of  Mart Barnum.  He had come to Franklin on the morning train from Martinsville, where he had been eight weeks receiving treatment.  The hope had been held out to him that he was improving, but on Monday the physician told him it would be best for him to go home.  On his arrival here Tuesday morning he was suffering great pain and had to be carried from the car.  He was taken by  George McCue,  an old neighbor and friend, to his boarding house at Martin Barnum’s and  Dr. Payne  summoned.  The end was fast approaching, however, and no medical aid could be of any avail.  Death was due to a complication of diseases, including Brights disease and muscular rheumatism.
          Deceased was 52 years old and leaves a wife and four sons, the former being now at the Central Insane Hospital.  He is a brother of  Wm. Bass,  trustee of Hendricks Township.  None of his relatives were present when he died except Wm. Bass, who had been notified and arrived about one half hour before his brother’s death.
          Funeral services were held yesterday at 11 o’clock at Second Mt. Pleasant church, conducted by Rev. P.O. Duncan.
Contributed by Mark McCrady and Cathea Curry
Note:  Date of birth: 22 Jan 1845. Date of death: 27 Apr 1897 - Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana

The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday October 3, 1895
Page 3 column 1
          Jordan Bass  died at the home of his son,  Lewis Bass,  in Brandywine township, at 10:30 a.m. Sunday September 29, of stomach trouble, age eighty years.  Funeral was held at the Liberty church, in Marion township at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, October 1, Rev. George Cohagen officiating, interment in the Liberty cemetery.  The deceased was one of the earliest settlers of this county and for a number of years resided in Brandywine township, where he raised a large family of children as follows:  Mrs. Charles Schull  and  Linden Bass, of Tecumseh, Nebraska;  Lewis,  Calvin  and  Henry Bass, of this county;  Elias Bass, of Indianapolis,  Mrs. H. C. Weaver, of this city;  Mesdames Appolis Kinsley,  Spencer Bassett,  John Hughes,  John Norvill,  Henry Nail  and  David Campbell, all of Shelby county, the latter having preceded him into the great beyond some years ago as did his estimable wife, since which time he has been making his home with various ones of his children, who strained every effort to make his declining years most pleasant ones.  He had been in poor health for several years past and leaves a large number of grandchildren and great grandchildren to mourn his departure, with other surviving relatives.  Cummins & Edwards had charge of the remains.
Contributed by Barb Huff

Obituary Index       Main Page

To contact the researchers listed above, use the Surname Index