The  Weekly  Argus  and  Democrat
Madison, Wisconsin
June 10, 1856
Page 1
---------------
Fatal Poisoning by Wild Parsnips
----------
          The Shelbyville (Ind.) Banner  says, that on Thursday last, while  Mr. J. G. Bushy,  his little son, and  Mr. A. J. Odell, were planting corn near Fairland, in that county, they discovered a root which they took for spikenard, and about ten minutes after they had eaten a quantity of it the boy was seen to fall.  On hastening to him he was found to be in spasms.  He was immediately carried home and medical aid was called, but too late he died in two hours after.  The alarm was given as soon as the boy was taken home to go to the assistance of  Mr. Odell in the field, where he was found in convulsions, and died in about two hours.  Mr. Bushy had taken but a very small quantity, and by active remedies his life was saved.  On examination it was discovered that the root they had eaten was wild parsnip, one of the most deadly poisons in the vegetable kingdom.
Contributed by John Ballard

Obituary Index       Main Page