Shelby  County  Indiana


Source: Sunday Star,
The  Sunday  Star
Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana
February 4, 1901
Page 3
          Alfred Dickey,  several years ago a prominent citizen of this city, died in Jamestown, ND on last Saturday a week and his body was taken to Indianapolis, thence by his son to the old home at Greenwood for burial.  Alfred Dickey was 55 years old.  He was a short time postmaster here under Garfield but gave up the office on account of the great opposition to his selection, caused by reason of his short residence here at the time the appointment was given him.  He was in the book trade for a time and then went to Dakota, where he made a fortune and lost it again, then he rallied and had again gotten wealthy.  He was lieutenant governor [of] the new territory of Dakota and at the time of his death was a real estate dealer.  HIs wife survives him with one son, who is a lawyer at Indianapolis.  He was an earnest and active business man.  He began the business of loaning money in Dakota in 1890 as a member of the firm of Wells, Dickey & Company of which he was still a member when he died.  He removed to Dakota in 1884 and was the first lieutenant governor of North Dakota after it became a state in 1889.  The county of Dickey in that state was named for him and the town of Dickey was laid out on a farm that he owned and also took his name.  The state of Mrs. Dickey's health compelled her to return to Indianapolis a year ago and since then Mr. Dickey has spent much of his time there.  When he returned to North Dakota a few weeks ago he seemed in better health than usual and his death, caused by appendicitis, followed an illness of only four days.
Contributed by Karen Zach

The  Bismarck  Daily  Tribune
Bismarck, North Dakota
Wednesday, January 30, 1901
Page 1   column 4
Funeral Services Over the Remains of
the Late Alfred Dickey Held
at Jamestown.
Body Was Taken East for Interment
at the Old Home of the
          Jamestown Capital:  The remains of  Alfred Dickey  were sent east Sunday morning to Indianapolis, Ind., in care of  H. P. SmartSenator Casey  accompanying him part way.  At St. Paul the body was met by  Alfred Dickey, jr.,  who came on from Indianapolis, where it is presumed the funeral will be held Tuesday.
          Memorial services were held at the Methodist church Sunday evening, and addresses delivered by ex-Mayor SteeleMayor Rose  and  Rev. Phillips  of the Congregational church.  All had known him and been associated with him in business, church and social work for twenty years, and spoke feelingly of him as a man, neighbor and Christian.  From his life Mayor Rose drew a lesson to young men and Mr. Steel[sic] paid a fine tribute to his character and ability.
          Rev. Phillips said there is probably not another man in the city who had given so much to benevolence as Mr. Dickey -- who gave in his own way and did not like to be asked.  He first became acquainted with him when the Sunday schools of the state were divided, he and Mr. Dickey then being the superintendent of the Metodist[sic] Sunday school here.  Those who knew him best loved him most.
          Pastor Danford  said he had known Mr. Dickey for a long time and had received much advice from him.  Mr. Dickey helped build the Methodist church at LaMoure and the parsonage at Dickey.  He was the first president of the Epworth league of this city, and except for a mistake of the presiding elder would have been the second league formed in the United States.
          Mr. Dickey left property conservatively estimated at $50,000, much of his wealth said to have been made in late years.
          The Msons and K. of P.s of this city counted Mr. Dickey as honored member of long standing.
          Alfred M. Dickey  was born in Shelby county, Indiana, June 10, 1846.  Before reaching his 16th year he enlisted June 3, 1862, for three months as a private in Co. H of the 14th Indiana volunteer infantry.  At the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted as a private in Co. M. of the 1st Indiana heavey artillery, in which company and regiment he served until long after the war closed, receiving his honorable discharge Jan. 21, 1866, serving three years, seven months and eighteen days.
          He was a charter member of  Wm. H. Seward  post, G.A.R., of this city and his name stands thirteenth on the list.  He was one of the youngest members then, being but 38 years old when the post was organized.
          In the only autobiographical sketch Mr. Dickey is known to have given he said very modestly:
          "For the 13 years preceeding my coming to Dakota I resided in Crawfordsville, Ind., engaged in the book and stationery business.  I was city treasurer of Crawfordsvill for five years, resigning during my third term to become postmaster, which position I held until failing health forced me to resign.  I came to the territory of Dakota for my health and think I have added years to my life by so doing.  I was born a democrat, but have been a republican ever since Sumter was fired upon.
          "I have been a farmer, bookseller, banker and real estate agent.  When one has done so little worthy of public mention it is a discouraging task to tell it."
          The convention that defeated Gen.  Harrison Allen  and chose  John Miller  for the first chief executive of North Dakota also chose Mr. Dickey as the first lieutenant governor.  It was in the days of great hopes for the new state, then just born, and agriculture as the paramount material interest of the state was fully recognized.  Mr. Dickey served his state well and on the event of the World's fair was selected to represent this state as chairman of the board of managers there.
          In late years he devoted his entire time to his business interests here as a stockholder and officer of the James River National bank and the Alliance Mortgage and Investment Co., liited, of London, Eng., of which he was made general manager in the U.S. but a few weeks ago.
          He was a man of high attainments, keen and observant, with a strong and dominant will, possessed of a firm and patriotic regard for American principles and ideas.
          He had traveled somewhat, visiting Cuba and Porto Rico immediately after American occupation, and in his own way contributed quite freely to charitable objects.  His free reading room was his latest beneficence.
Contributed by John Addison Ballard

Obituary Index       Main Page

To contact the researchers listed above, please use the  Surname Index