Shelby  County  Indiana


The  Shelbyville  News
Saturday, August 12, 2000
Birchel O. Floyd, 76, Clearwater, Fla., with relatives in Shelby County, died Thursday at Pinellas Park, Fla.
Born on April 23, 1924, in Laurel County, Ky., s/o  William  and  Sally (Rogers) Floyd.
Married to  Tabitha M. Floyd  for 57 years, and she survives.
United States Army veteran, having served in 1945.
Formerly employed as a machine operator at Chrysler Corp., Indianapolis, and was a member of the United Auto Workers.
Member of White Oak Baptist Church, Ky.
Survivors include four sons, J. R. Floyd, Phoenix, Ariz., Edward Floyd, Clearwater, Fla.,  Elmer Floyd, Kokomo, and  Dale Floyd, King, N.C.; two daughters,  Louise White  and  Lorene Lowe, both of Clearwater, Fla.; one brother,  Elmer Floyd, Indianapolis; six sisters, Thelma Reynolds, London, Ky.,  Beulah Jones  and  Flossie Cutter, both of Morristown, Mildred Sisson, Greenfield, Betty McKeeman, Ft. Myers, Fla., and  Ruby VanMeter, Tacoma, Wash.; 14 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.
Frazier Funeral Home, with Gary Jones officiating. 
Burial:  Asbury Cemetery.
Contributions:  American Cancer Society.
Summarized by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
October 12, 1950
          Services will be held Friday for  Mrs. Daisy D. Floyd, 69, 614 Elm St., who died at her home at 11:00 a.m. yesterday after an illness of three weeks.
          Friends may call at the Murphy Mortuary until noon Friday, after which the body will be moved to the Pleasant Grove Church where services, in charge of the Carl W. Norman and Son Funeral Home of Hope, will be conducted at 2:00 p.m.  Rev. athan Schoolfiedl will officiate and burial will be in the Pleasant Grove cemetery.
          Born March2, 1881, Mrs. Floyd was the daughter of  James and  Elizabeth Keeling Hatton.  She was married in 1899 to  Martin Lewis Floyd  who survives at home.
          Other survivors include a daughter,  Mrs. Deloris Stewart,  of Shelbyville, three grandchildren,  Mrs. Nancy Murray  of Seymour,  David Stine  and  Janette Stine  of this city, two brothers,  John Hatton  of Shelbyville, and one great grandchild.  Another daughter,  Mrs. Dorothy Stine, died in1935.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Frankfort  Weekly
Frankfort, Indiana
Monday July 12, 1909
Page 1 and 5
Passed Away at Hospital
at 11:10 O’clock Today
Taken Ill Only Saturday
Was Stricken While Enjoying
Picnic With Members of Local
T. P. A. Post at Lake Maxinkuckee
Post Mortem Showed Death Was
Caused by Cancer of the Stomach
          Ed. R. Floyd,  one of Clinton county’s best known men and pioneer citizens, died this morning at 11:10 o’clock at the Palmer hospital, to which institution he was taken Saturday night after being brought home in a serious condition from Lake Maxinkuckee where he was taken ill while enjoying the pleasure of a picnic, participated in by the members of Post D. T. P. A. of this city, their families and friends.
          Mr. Floyd, his wife and their son,  Eugene Floyd, and the members of the latter’s family, together with other member of the T. P. A. party were out on the lakes half a mile from shore in a steam launch when the elder Mr. Floyd was seized with what appeared to be an acute attack of indigestion.  The attack nearly prostrated him and he became deathly sick.  The launch hurriedly made for shore and Mr. Floyd was carried to a nearby cottage where he was given medical attention, the parties at the cottage happening to have some tablets for the relief of indigestion.  Mr. Floyd was temporarily relieved and he was assisted to the Vandelia station and Colver, near the lake, to await the departure of the excursion train for this city.  The train left at 7 o’clock.  While en route home Mr. Floyd suffered a second attack and  Dr. J. R. Sickler  of this city, who was a member of the excursion party, gave him medical attention on the train.  His suffering became so intense that it became necessary to give him morphine to quiet him.  On the arrival of the train here Mr. Floyd was placed in a cab and hurried to the hospital.
          Dr. Palmer pronounced his condition very grave at the outset.  During Saturday night there was no material improvement in his condition and Sunday it was seen that he could not recover.  He grew steadily worse, but remained conscious, except for brief intervals when opiates were administered to relieve his suffering.
          Ed R. Floyd had been a resident of Clinton county since boyhood and he was one of the best known men in the county.  He was born in Shelby county, this state, on December 7, 1848, and was consequently in his sixty first year.  His parents were  W. J. and Elizabeth A. Floyd.  In 1854 Mr. Floyd came with his parents to Howard county, the family settling upon a farm near Middlefork.  Mr. Floyd was 14 years of age when the Civil War broke out.  He became imbued with patriotic spirit and enlisted in the Eleventh Indiana Cavalry, which was recruited at Kokomo in 1862.  He served two years at the front and then was dispatched with other United States soldiers to Kansas to put down an Indian uprising.  He was mustered out of service in Kansas and returned to his home near Middlefork.
          In 1869, after his return from the was, Mr. Floyd was united in marriage to  Miss Martha G. Whiteman,  of Middlefork.  Of three children born to the union, two with their mother, survive.  The surviving children are Eugene Floyd, a member of the wholesale grocery firm of  W. M. Shafor & Co., of the city, and  Mrs. W. W. Holliday, of Whiting, Ind.  Irene,  the third child, died in infancy.  Mrs. Holliday was at her father’s bedside when death occurred, she having been advised of his serious illness in time to reach here before the final dissolution.
          Soon after his marriage Mr. Floyd left the farm and embarked in the general merchandise business at Middlefork in which he was eminently successful. He engaged in business at Middlefork until 1882, when he sold out and came to this city to engage in the shoe business with  William Kelly.  The firm was known as Kelly & Floyd and its place of business was located in the room on the west side of the square now occupied by the  Tom Blinn cigar store.
          Later Mr. Kelly sold out of his interest to  J. W. Gutheridge  and the firm name was changed to Floyd & Gutheridge.  This firm was in existence four years or until 1886, when Mr. Floyd sold out and went to Chicago, where he engaged in the hotel business for three years.  In 1889 he disposed of his hotel and returned to Middleford and bought back his old general merchandise stand, acquiring it from  O. A. J. Morrison,  who then owned the store.  He and his son Eugene conducted the store until 1900 when the father sold out to his son.  Incidentally Mr. Floyd embarked in the business of buying and breeding fine horses.  In 1904 he moved his stables to Frankfort and he was engaged in the horse business at the time of his death.
          Mr. Floyd was a staunch Republican in his political beliefs. He had been honored by his party, representing Clinton county in the state legislature for one term in 1905. In 1907 he was appointed postmaster of the state senate, a position he held during the legislative session of that year.
          Mr. Floyd was a member of the G. A. R., also of the Masonic lodge at Middlefork. He possessed a genial nature that made him popular with all with whom he came in contact.  He stood high in the estimation of his friends who were legion.
Post Mortem Examination
          To determine the exact cause of Mr. Floyd’s death a post mortem examination was made at the Gard undertaking establishment this afternoon.  The examination disclosed the presence of a large cancerous growth in the stomach and a perforation of that organ.  Dr. Benson Ruddell performed the autopsy in the presence of several other local physicians.
          The arrangements for the funeral are not complete but the obsequies will be held some time Thursday.
Contributed by Mary K. George

Obituary Index     Main Page

For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use the Surname Index