Shelby  County  Indiana


Monday October 20, 1941
Page 6 column 1
Former County Woman Is Dead
          Mrs. Mary E. Herron, 51, former resident of Shelby county, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Russell Miller, of north of Hope.
          Death was attributed to heart trouble.  She has been in ill health the past ten years, but in her current illness she did not become serious until early Friday.
          Funeral services were held at 1:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the Hope Methodist church.  The Rev. John Knight, of Louisville, former pastor of the Hope Baptist church was in charge, assisted by the  Rev. David Shepherd, pastor of the Hope Methodist church.  Burial was made in the Second Mt. Pleasant cemetery.
          Mrs. Herron was born in Boggstown, December 1, 1889, the daughter of the late  John and Elizabeth Reed.  She had resided in Hope the past 16 years.  Her husband Howard L. Herron, died 13 years ago.
          Survivors include two sons, Leo Herron, of Bluffton, and  Raymond Herron, of Hope; one daughter  Mrs. [Barbara] Miller; four grandchildren and three sisters, Mrs. Naomi Thurston, of Shelby county;  Mrs. Luella Merriman, of Bartholomew county, and  Mrs. Nora Miller  of Salem.
          She was a member of the Methodist church.
Contributed by Barb Huff for Judy Sebastian

Tuesday January 15, 1929
Page 5 column 4
Washington Township Resident Had Heart Disease, Hemorrhage
          Three and one-half months of illness with a complication of heart disease and kidney trouble last night resulted in the death for  Howard Lee Herron, 55 years old, at his home in Washington township, near Norristown.  Hemorrhage was the immediate cause of his demise.
          He was the son of  Nathan L. and Mary Green Herron and was one of a family of seven children. He was born in Noble township January 24, 1873, being 55 years, 11 months ad 22 days of age at the time of his death.
          On September 5, 1906, he was married to  Miss Lizzie Reed.  The three children born to them, all surviving are;  Leo, Raymond, and  Miss Barbara Herron, all at home.  The widow and the aged father of Mr. Herron also survive.  Mr. Herron also leaves three sisters;  Mrs. Harley Crandall  of Hendricks township;  Mrs. Dan Ford, of Anderson, Indiana; and  Mrs. Verl Craig, of Washington township.
          Mr. Herron was a member of the Winchester M.E. church, where the regular funeral service will be held at 10:30 o'clock Thursday morning, the Rev. C. B. Atkinson officiating.  He was also a member of the Odd Fellows lodge of Waldron, and this lodge will participate in the funeral.  A short service will be held at the home at 10 o'clock.  The interment will be in the family lot in the second Mt. Pleasant cemetery, C.F. Fix and Son being the funeral directors.  Friends may view the remains at the home.
Contributed by Barb Huff for Judy Sebastian

Shelby  Republican
Tuesday, July 26, 1898
Page 1
Of Geneva, Ground to Bits by a Big Four
Freight in This City.
          William Herron, a blacksmith, whose home was in Geneva, Noble township, was killed by a Big Four freight in this city early this morning.  The body was fearfully mangled, both legs and an arm being cut off, he was disembowled, one side of the head cut and lacerated and the face bruised but not badly.  The remains were found by Officers Kennedy and Nealis near the flag-house at Franklin street, the hour being about two o'clock last Saturday.  As soon as the body was discovered Wilson & Son, undertakers, were notified and the remains taken to their establishment where they were first identified by  Jim Sexson, who carries the mail from the postoffice to the depots, he having been well acquainted with Herron.  The next step was to notify the coroner.  The family of the dead man was told of the accident by telephone and the body was later in the day taken to the home in Geneva.
          There is no doubt but what Herron's death was directly due to his being drunk.  He had been drinking in Geneva Friday afternoon and about eight o'clock in the evening, in company with  James Green, he started to this place in an open buggy.  He was then drunk.  On the arrival of the men here they visited a few saloons and at near midnight with another man they went to the Star Mills and asked the engineer if they could sleep there.  This was denied them and they went over to the Big Four depot.  It was not long until a west boudn through freight passed.  It is not positively known whether Herron attempted to get on the train or whether he was on the track but marks on the rails at the east end of the platform show he was first hurt there and the body carried to where it was picked up.
          Herron was about forty years old, his wife being a daughter of  William Farnsworth, of Noble township.  He leaves two sons, one about seventeen years old, the other ten.  His reputed to have been a good workman and was ....[My copy ends here. - PMF]
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Obituary Index       Main Page

For current email addresses of researchers listed above, see the Surname Index