Shelby  County  Indiana


The  Shelbyville  News
Monday, December 14, 1981
Bertha  F.  House
          Mrs. Bertha F. House,  89, a Shelby County native, died at 3:15 a.m. today in the health center of the Methodist Home, Franklin  She had been ill since Thursday.
          Born in Shelby County, Aug. 9, 1892, she was a daughter of  David H. Tucker  and  Minnie (Ensminger) Tucker.  She was married to  Ralph R. House  in 1913.  He died Sept. 2, 1970.
          Mrs. House was a charter member of the New Life United Methodist Church, Fairland.  She was also a charter member of the Friday AFternoon Club.  She is survived by two children,  Mrs. Lee (Martha Jane) Hanner,  Indianapolis, and  Ray W. House,  Salem.
          Also surviving is a brother,  Fred E. Tucker,  Franklin.  Another brother preceded in death.  She had four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
          Services will be 10 a.m. Wednesday at Ewing Mortuary and burial will be in London Cemetery, with the  Rev. Clara Mae Rippel  officiating.  Friends may call after 3 p.m. Tuesday at the mortuary.
Summarized by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Monday, March 6, 1967
Rites Wednesday For County Native, 88
          Services will be Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Carmony Funeral Home in Shelbyville for Mrs. Myrtle C. House, 88, who died Sunday at 7:00 p.m. in the Waldron Nursing Home where she was a patient for five years.  Mrs. House formerly lived here at 117 East Hendricks Street.  Rev. Ronald Felty will officiate and burial will be in Forest Hill cemetery.  Friends may call at the mortuary after 2:00 p.m. Tuesday.
          Mrs. House was born in Shelby township May 13, 1878, the daughter of  Frank P. and Mellie (Newton) Coyle.  On June 27, 1934, she married  Frank House who died November 13, 1959.  She is survived by a step-son and a niece, Carl House, Carmichael, California and  Mrs. Paul (Ruth) Raymond of Shelbyville.  A brother and sister preceded in death.  Mrs. House was a member of the First Presbyterian Church.
Contributed by Barb Huff for Carolyn Hoffman

The  Shelbyville  News
Friday, November 13, 1959
Funeral Monday For Ex-City Mail Carrier
          Frank House, 93, retired city mail carrier and a lifelong county resident, died this morning at 7:15 at his home at 117 East Hendricks street.  He had been in failing health for six years and seriously ill for two weeks.
          Mr. House was born in London on May 24, 1866, a son of  Abel and  Matilda  (Boles)  House.  He married Margaret McLane on January 4, 1911, and she died in 1926.  On June 27, 1934, he was married to Myrtle Coyle, who survives at home.
          Also surviving are a son, Carl House, of Carmichael, California, a brother, Fred House, of Orlando, Florida, a nephew, Herb House of Shelbyville, and five grandchildren.
          He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and the Knights of Pythias Lodge, and had lived in Shelbyville since 1880. Mr. House retired from the Post Office Department after 28 years of service in 1932.
          Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Carmony Funeral Home in Shelbyville.  Burial will be in Forest Hill cemetery. Rev. Ronald Felty will officiate. Friends may call at the funeral home Saturday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 2 to 9 p.m.
Contributed by Barb Huff for Carolyn Hoffman

The  Shelbyville  Republican
Tuesday, January 5, 1926
Mrs. Frank House Burned Fatally In Suicide Effort
Early Today "I Did It To Show What God Could Do"
She Is Quoted As Having Said During Interval of Consciousness
Believed To Have Had Period of Mental Derangement
Brought on By Religious Excitement
          Mrs. Margaret House, age forty-eight, wife of  Frank House, city mail carrier, during a fit of mental derangement this morning, crawled into the furnace of the basement of their home and received burns which caused her death about one o'clock this afternoon.
          Mrs. House suffered terrible burns.  The flesh on her hands, arms, face and chest had been cooked and charred. Her face was a mass of charred flesh, and her hair had been burned away.  The muscles of the arms had been burned through, and pieces of flesh fell away from the bones when she was taken out of the fire.  Mrs. House had inhaled the fire and gas from the furnace and was badly burned inwardly.  Dr. W. W. Tindall was called to attend Mrs. House.  He did all possible to relieve her pain, until death ended her suffering.
          It was stated that Mrs. House had evidently become temporarily deranged over religious matters.  Recently when a series of meetings were conducted at the city building by an evangelistic party, Mrs. House attended a number of them, and had much faith in the purported powers of the evangelistic party.
          Mr. House said this morning that his wife awakened about five o'clock, arose from her bed, and left the room attired in her night clothing.  He believed that she intended to go to the kitchen.  Later he heard her singing and the sound of her voice in prayer.  The sound of her voice ceased to be heard and Mr. House went to investigate.
          He found his wife in the basement with the upper half of her body lying in the furnace.  Indications were that she had first attempted to get into the furnace feet first, as the skin on her feet was blistered.  She is then supposed to have thrown herself head first through the fuel door of the furnace into the bed of hot coals, which remained from the night before.  Her body from the waist up was a mass of burned flesh.
          Mr. House pulled his wife from the furnace, suffering severe burns on his hands and arms.  He carried her to the upper floor, and then summoned neighbors and a physician.  "I did it to show what God could do,"  Mrs. House is quoted as having said, during an interval of consciousness after she had been taken from the furnace.  At another time, it was stated that Mrs. House had said that she did not "do it, that God did it."
          Some of the neighbors of Mrs. House said today that they had not at any time noticed that she had acted or talked in a strange manner.  Some said that they talked with her recently as Monday evening, and that they did not detect anything queer in her conversation.  Others said that recently they had noted that she had stressed the subject of religion and healing through faith, and that her mind appeared to dwell on those subjects.
          Mrs. House was well known in Shelbyville and in the county.  The report of her act was a great shock to her many close friends, who were unable to believe the report for some time.
          Besides the husband, she is survived by one son, Carl House; and three brothers, Thomas and  Harry McLane, of Shelbyville, and Dunn McLane, of Schenectady, New York.  Funeral arrangements will be announced by Ralph J. Edwards, who is in charge.

Wednesday, January 6, 1926
Burial Thursday For Woman Who Met Death
By Crawling In Furnace
          Funeral services for  Mrs. Margaret House, wife of  Frank House, who committed suicide Tuesday by crawling in a furnace at her home, 117 East Hendricks street, will be private and will be held at the home at two-thirty o'clock Thursday afternoon.  It is asked that flowers be omitted. Rev. L. O. Richmond, pastor of the First Presbyterian church will officiate and interment will be in Forest Hill in charge of Ralph J. Edwards.
          Mrs. House was able to talk to members of her family after her husband had taken her from the furnace yesterday morning, and she lived until one o'clock Tuesday afternoon.  When Mr. House took her from the fire he said she had been singing and praying.  She asked him not to bring her back, that she was giving herself as a burnt sacrifice to God.  Mrs. House also stated while she was talking to members of the family Tuesday morning that she felt no pain from the burns.
Contributed by Barb Huff for Carolyn Hoffman

The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday April 10, 1884
Page 1 column 5
          William House, aged twenty-one years, died at his home near London Wednesday, April 2nd.  The funeral services were held at London at two o’clock Monday.
Contributed by Barb Huff

The  Shelby  Democrat
Thursday, September 4, 1879
Page 3   col 4
          HOUSE - On the 31st day of August, 1879, in Moral township,  Elizabeth,  daughter of  Geo. W. and  Nancy S. House,  aged 14 years.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Obituary Index       Main Page

To contact researchers listed above, please use the Surname Index