Shelby  County  Indiana


The  Shelbyville  News
Friday, January 31, 2003
John G. Parker, 73, of Rawlins, Wyo., who has relatives in Shelby County, died Monday.
Born Nov. 1, 1929, in Indianapolis, s/o  Emil L. and Lorena (Swafford) Parker.
Survivors include two sisters-in-law, Cora Parker  of Shelbyville and  Hilda Gahimer  of Franklin; two nephews, Dave Parker  of Waldron and  Ed Parker  of Fairland; and one niece, Susan Waters  of Shelbyville.
Preceded in death by three brothers,  Phillip Parker,  Laurel Parker  and  Danny Parker.
Lived in Wyoming for 30 years and before that in Indianapolis.
Employed at Ford Motor Co.
Graveside services Lewis Creek Baptist Cemetery in Shelby County, with the Rev. Jack Smith officiating.
Glenn E. George & Son Funeral Home, 437 Amos Road.
Summarized by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
          Phillip S. Parker,  71, of Shelbyville, died Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at community Hospital East in Indianapolis.  Born Jan. 29, 1931 in Marion County, he was the son of  Laurel and  Lorena G. (Swafford) Emil*.  He married  Cora Achors  on Oct. 3, and she survives.
          Other survivors include one son,  David Parker  of Waldron; one daughter-in-law,  Rhonda Parker  of Waldron; one brother,  John Parker;  and three granddaughters,  Nicole,  Melissa and  Amanda.  He was preceded in death by two brothers.
          Mr. Parker was employed at Chrysler Corp, in Indianapolis for 30 years, retiring in 1984.  He was a U.S. Army veteran of the Korean War.
          Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Glenn E. George & Son Funeral Home, 437 Amos Road, with the Rev. David Humphrey officiating.  Burial will be in Lewis Creek Baptist Cemetery.  Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
*Per the 1969 obituary below, Laurel's surname is Parker.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Tuesday, July 14, 1998
Shelby County resident Clifford Parker, 84, rural Franklin, died Monday.
Born Nov. 23, 1913, in Bengal, s/o  Earl and Edna (Scott) Parker, and his mother survives.  Married Dorothy (Eberhart) Parker  on March 11, 1939, and she survives.
Farmer in the Marietta area, 50-year member of Shelbyville Masonic Lodge No. 28 and a past director of the Marietta Volunteer Fire Department.
Member of Mount Gilead Baptist Church, the Indiana Farmers Union and the Indiana Guernsey Association.
Survivors also include a son, Donald Parker, Marietta; two daughters, Beverly Curnutt, Midland, Mich., and  Barbara Saletnig, Millsboro, Del.; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Preceded in death by one brother.
Murphy-Parks Funeral Service. Masonic rites at the funeral home.
Rev. Stephen Hamby officiating. Burial will be in Miller Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Mount Gilead Baptist Church.
Summarized by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Monday, November 7, 1977
          Charles Emil Parker,  20, R.R. 3 Fairland, died at 3:40 p.m. Sunday at the Good Samaritan Hospital, Dayton, Ohio.  He died of injuries sustained in a one-car accident a week ago in the Dayton area.  Born May 22, 1957 in Indianapolis, he was the son of  Laurel and  Sarah (Achors) Parker.
          Surviving besides his parents of R.R. 3, Fairland, are his grandmother,  Mrs. Lorena Long,  Indianapolis; a sister,  Mrs. Susan Thacker,  Dayton, Ohio, and a brother,  Phillip Parker,  Shelbyville.
          Mr. Parker was employed by the local Concrete Products Co. and was serving as a private first class with the local National Guard.  He resided in the Fairland community for 18 years.
          Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Ewing Mortuary with the Rev. Mark Mowery officiating.  Burial will be in Boggstown Cemetery.  Friends may call at the mortuary after 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  News
Saturday, January 25, 1969
DIES  AT  65
          Emil Parker,  65, who resided with his son,  Laurel Parker,  R.R. 3, Fairland was found dead at home by the son Friday afternoon.  Dr. Paul M. Inlow, county coroner, ruled death was caused by influenzal penumonia[sic].  Local funeral arrangements were made by the Murphy Mortuary and the body was moved to the Jenkins and Son Mortuary in Bloomfield.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Shelbyville  Republican
May 22, 1964
          Retired farmer  Roy H. Parker, 68, of Union Township and Morristown R. R. 1, died early today at his home. ... [He] was born August 10, 1895 in Union Twp., the son of  Sherman and Mira (Wicker) Parker.  He was a lifelong resident of the township.  He was first married to  Gertrude Moore  in 1927, and she preceded in death in 1930.  On May 14, 1933, he married  Mary F. Feaster, who survives.  Other survivors include one daughter,  Mrs. Wayne Snider  of Shelbyville; a son,  B. L. Parker  of Morristown R. R. 1; two sisters on Shelbyville R. R. 1  Mrs. Claude Brown  and  Mrs. Ora Roan  and five grandchildren.  Mr. Parker served with the U. S. Army in World War I ... Services will be .. at the Carmony Funeral Home in Shelbyville, with Rev. R. C. McNeely officiating.  Burial will be in Bennett Cemetery. ...
Condensed and submitted by  Don T. Mitchell
Notes:  Mary F. Feaster (1898-1965) was a great granddaughter of  Jacob Feaster  (1816-1889), who came to Indiana in 1837 and was an early millwright in the Moscow and St. Paul vicinities.  See his biography on this site.  Billy Lee Parker  is Mary's only child.

The  Shelby  Democrat
September 13, 1917
Page 2
Miss  Olive  Parker,  Aged  24
Years,  Victim  of  Heart
and  Lung  Troubles.
(From Thursday’s Daily)
         A death that will bring sadness to many hearts occurred at 10:20 o'clock this morning at the home of  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Parker,  three miles northwest of this city, in the passing away of their daughter, Miss Olive,  who was a victim of lung trouble and heart disease.  She was born September 24, 1893, and would have been twenty-four years old the twenty-fourth of this months.
          Neighbors who had known and loved the young woman were of one accord in the opinion that a better daughter and sister never lived.  She will be missed very much in the home and in the community, as her days were spent in devotion to her mother and brothers and sisters and in kind neighborly acts.
          She was the oldest of ten children and the other nine survive her, four brothers and five sisters -- Stanley,  now with the Sixteenth U. S. Infantry in France;  James,  Mildred,  Mary,  Lawrence,  Helen,  Dorothy,  Frances and  Charles,  all at home.  She also leaves her grandfather,  John Boals, a prominent aged resident of Brandywine township.
          The funeral service will be held Saturday afternoon at the Old Union M. P. Church and the burial will be made in the church cemetery in charge of Undertaker Ralph J. Edwards, who will announce the hour for the service later.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The  Franklin  Democrat
Johnson County, Indiana
Friday, August 17, 1900
Volume XLI, Number 7
Page 1, column 6
Caused by Two Trains Colliding
Near Cedar Springs Mich.
          William Parker,  living near Smiley’s Mill, left his home Tuesday evening for Traverse City Michigan.  Wednesday at noon his cousin,  E. G. Barnhizer,  received a telegram announcing his death, the result of a railroad wreck near Cedar Springs, Mich.
          Wednesday morning about five o’clock two passenger trains on the Grand Rapids and Indiana railway collided, and nine persons were instantly killed, among the number being Mr. Parker.  Mr. Parker was on the train going north and when between Cedar Springs and Sand Lake the train was met by the train from the south.  Both were running at a high rate of speed.
          The collision was the result of a negligent telegraph operator who let the south bound train on the main track.
          Mr. Parker was a well-known and respected farmer of this county, owning a farm of 200 acres just this side of the Shelby County line.  He was fifty years of age and born in Shelby County.  He leaves a family of grown children.
          Mr. Barnhizer left Wednesday evening for Michigan to return with the body.


The  News - Palladium
Benton Harbor, Berrien County, Michigan
Thursday, August 16, 1900
Page 6   columns 5-6
Trains on the Grand Rapids & In
diana Roads Collide.
A Sleepy Operator Mainly
Responsible for the Accident --
Seven Persons Killed and a
Number Injured
Grand Rapids, Mich., Aug. 16 -- A dense morning fog, a changing of train orders and a moment's drowsiness of a telegraph operator combined Wednesday morning to cause a collision and wreck of tow[sic] of the heaviest and finest trains in the service of the Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad and the loss of seven lives and the injury of about a dozen more persons.  All of the dead and most of the injured were employes of the company.
The Killed and injured.
THE  DEAD -- Letts, Charles M.;  Grand Rapids, conductor of the north-bound train No. 5.
Groetveild, Gilbert,  engineer, No. 5.
Fish, William H.,  Grand Rapids; fireman of No. 2.
Woodhouse, Edward D.,  Grand Rapids; fireman of No. 5.
Boyle, Louis G.,  Grand Rapids; fireman of No. 2.
Pierson, C.  [sic  Parker, William E.],  passenger, of Franklin, Ind.
Levan, Ralph,  son of baggage man Levan of Grand Rapids, who was in the car with the father.

FATALLY  INJURED -- Blossom, Mark,  Grand Rapids, news agent, base of skull ruptured.

THE  INJURED -- Dennis, H. A.,  Grand Rapids, passenger, cut on hand, legs jammed, left shoulder hurt;  Graves, W. M.,  Grand Rapids (colored) waiter on No. 5, compound fracture of right arm and badly cut;  Ford, C. M.,  Grand Rapids (colored) waiter on No. 5, injured about legs and chest;  Powers, Daved C.,  Grand Rapids, baggageman No. 2, scalp wound, throat cut, contusions on limbs, both eyes closed;  Boroff, Frank,  Traverse City, trainman, head badly cut;  Barnes, William,  Grand Rapids, dining car conductor, left of chest hurt, head cut;  Taylor, Harvey,  Grand Rapids, colored waiter, both hands lacerated, arms cut;  Hartsaw, W. G.,  passenger, badly hurt about face and chest.
          The injured and the bodies of the dead were all brought to this city on a relief train as soon as extricated from the piles of debris.
A  Fatal  Combination.
          The absence of any one of the circumstances which caused the accident would have overcome the disastrous effect of the other two.  At the point where the collision occurred the track is straight as a die for over three miles and the engineers would have had ample time to check their trains had the air been clear, though they were both running at a speed of sicty miles an hour.  As it was, the fog was so dense as to hide from sight every object no matter how large, outside a radius of a hundred feet from any given point.  Train orders had been changed the night before but after the Northland express, a resort flyer containing through [?] sleeping coaches from Cincinnati, Louisville and St. Louis, had left this city at 4:05 a.m. the train dispatchers' Offices decided to cancel the arrangement.  One engineer received his orders all right; the other did not.  The operator of Mill Creek, a small station five miles north of this city, had been asked if the express had passed him and upon replying in the negative was told to glad it and give new instructions.  But it had passed him unnoticed a few minutes before while he slept.  He is an experienced operator and had always been one of the most trusted employees of the road, but fate had decided that he should lose his faculties at a fatal moment.
          The other train demolished in the wreck was a regular passenger due at Grand Rapids at five a.m.  The two had been passing at Sand Lake, a station some 18 miles north of this city.  The changed orders would have made them pass at Woohson, four or files miles further north, but the engineer on the south-bound train had received his instrucitons to pass at the usual place, and at the moment the Mill Creek operator was standing in front of the station waiting to signal the express was far this side of any station by which he could be reached and ignorant of his danger.  The express flying toward him could have been stopped at Pierson, but the Mill Creek operator discovered his awful mistake a moment too late.  He rushed to his instrument and notified the Pierson operator just as the flyer went shizzing by his office.  Half a mile further, covered in a short 30 seconds, the tragedy had occurred.
The  Wreck.
          The Pierson operator heard the crash and notified Grand Rapids at once.  In a few minutes later a wreck train with a number of physicians was on its way to the rescue and a few minutes later another one followed.  Heroic work in extracting the injured from their predicament and they were placed upon cots in the relief train and taken to Grand Rapids.  The bodies of the dead were also brought here.  The wreckage was piled 30 feet hight by the terrific impact the the[sic] trains met.  Both engines, the heaviest in the company's service, were totally destroyed, the boiler of one exploding and adding to the completeness of its demolition.
The  Financial Loss.
          No trains were run Wednesday, as the track was lifted from its bed for a space of 200 yards and thrown aside, rails, ties and all.  A temporary track is being built.  The company's loss can not be accurately calculated, but will amount to nearly $50,000.
Note:  Date of birth, 1844, Shelby County, Indiana.  Date of death, 15 Aug 1900, Pierson, Montcalm County, Michigan.
Contributed by Mark McCrady and Cathea Curry

The Franklin  Democrat
Friday, January 1, 1892
Volume XXXII, Number 28
Page 3, column 3
          Squire Parker,  who died in Shelby county Tuesday, was an uncle of  Ed Barnhizer  of our city.  The deceased was one of the wealthiest farmers in Shelby County and at the time of his death, owned nine hundred acres of land.
Contributed by by Mark McCrady and Cathea Curry

The  Shelby  Democrat
December 31, 1891
Page 3
          Squire Parker  died at the home of his daughter,  Mrs. Elizabeth Nail  five miles north-west of town at 11 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 29 of heart trouble, age 68 years.  Funeral services will be held at the house at 10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 31st.  Elder Fillmore officiating.  Interment in the Snyder grave-dard[sic].
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

The Franklin  Democrat
Friday, October 2, 1891
Page 3, column 1
          The fourteen-year-old son of  Wm. Parker,  died last week and was buried Sunday.  He had been sick for a long time with hip disease which finally developed into blood poison.
Shelby County Death Record H-20:15
Name:  Fred Parker  Date:  25 Sep 1891
Location:  Bengal  Age:  14 Yr
Gender:  Male   Race:  White
Contributed by Mark McCrady and Cathea Curry

The  Villisca  Review
August 11, 1887
Passed by the Wm. Lundy Post, G.A.R.:
Whereas our comrade  Joel Parker,  after a long and weary march, has halted, and using his burden for a pillow, laid himself down to sleep the sleep of death - has "crossed over the river to rest under the shade of the trees" while we are left to fight life's battles for a short time, when we to will "bivouac with the dead, to sleep until awakened by the last reville" and join in the grand review on judgement day.
          Resolved, that we tender our sympathies to the bereaved families of our comrade, in their deep affliction.
          Resolved, that our Post room be draped in mourning for the space of 30 days.
          Resolved, that a copy of these resolutions be published in the Review.
Com. John Patton
W.S. Alger
C.N. Stoddard

[Joel was in Brandywine Twp. in Shelby Co IN, in 1850.  He married Susan Baker in Shelby Co, IN.]
Submitted by James R. Baker, Jr.

The  Villisca  Review
Villisca, Montgomery County, Iowa
July 28, 1887
          Thanks. - At a meeting of  Wm. Lundy Post G.A.R. held after returning from the funeral of our deceased comrade, Joel Parker, resolutions of thanks to the following persons were unanimously adopted:
          To the members of the Drum Corps for the music for the occasion, to the Sons of Veterans for their assistance and to the members of Company B for the use of their rifles.
          It was also resolved to drape our Post room in mourning for the space of 30 days and to have the resolutions published in the Review.
Contributed by John Addison Ballard

Obituary Index       Main Page

To contact researchers listed above, use the  Surname Index.