Shelby  County  Indiana


The  Shelbyville  Republican
Monday, February 19, 1940
Page 1
Speeding Sedan Demolished
at Turn in Highway
Near South Edge of
City; Skull Fractures,
Crushed Chest and Oth-
er Injuries Cause Death;
Oral Pile, 21, Suffers
Leg Fractures, Coyle
Campbell Receives Lac-
erations on Being
Struck by Car Driven
by Dale Osborn, Shelby-
ville, on South Harrison
Street; Driver Absolved
of Blame by Police
          Automobile accidents in and near Shelbyville Saturday night caused the death of a well known local pharmacist and injuries to two young men from Marietta.
          Joseph Earl Radcliffe,  age 38, well known local pharmacist, died at the Major hospital at 11:45 o'clock Saturday night of injuries received about two hours earlier when the auto which he was driving crushed with terrific force into two trees and a utility pole on State Road 9, one and one-half miles south of this city.
          Oral Pile,  age 21, son of  Roy Pile,  and  Coyle Campbell,  son of Clarence Campbell,  all of Marietta, were recovering at the Major hospital last night from injuries received at midnight Saturday when they were struck by an auto driven by  Dale Osborne,  of this city, as they were crossing Harrison street at the Broadway intersection.
          Radcliffe was alone in the car which apparently skidded from the pavement and struck two trees and a utility pole and tore down a section of fence before coming to a stop in a field.  The auto, a new sedan, belonging to  Mr. Woodburn,  Radcliffe was thrown from the car onto the pavement and was found several yards from the wreckage of the auto.  Officers who investigated saw evidence that the car had been driven at a speed exceeding 80 miles per hour at the time of the wreck.
          Radcliffe was rushed to the Major hospital in the Loren H. Murphy ambulance, where he received emergency treatment by Dr. DePrez Inlow,  Dr. Norman Richard and  Dr. F. E. Bass.  He suffered a basal skull fracture, a frontal skull fracture, a broken sternum, a crushed chest, a broken leg and severe lacerations and bruises.  Coroner Charles Kohlmeyer said that either the skull factures[sic] or the crushed chest might have caused death.
          The deceased had been a resident of Shelbyville for eighteen years.  He was employed for five years at the  Fleming drug store, was later employed for twelve years at the  Ralph Worland pharmacy, recently had worked at the Johnson drug store, in Columbus and for the past four weeks he had been employed at the Woodburn pharmacy in Columbus, Ind.
          He had come to Shelbyville at noon Saturday on business and after having visited his wife and daughter had headed toward Columbus when the accident occurred.
          Radcliffe was born in Fredericksburg, Ind., on May 21, 1901, the son of  Joseph and  Jane Radcliffe.  on October 16, 1920, he was married to  Miss Ethel King,  of Shelbyville, Tenn.  One daughter,  Joan,  14 years old, survives with the widow at home.
          Other survivors include three brothers,  Edgar,  of Chicago, and  John and  Dan Radcliffe,  both of Indianapolis; several other relatives and a host of friends.  His parents preceded him in death.
          Mr. Radcliffe was a member of the First Presbyterian church and the Masonic lodge here.
          Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the First Presbyterian church, with Dr. C. A. Bowler officiating.  Interment will be in Forest Hill cemetery in charge of Loren H. Murphy, funeral director.  Members of the Masonic lodge will participate in services at the grave.
          Pall bearers will be  Ralph Worland,  Ora Breedlove,  James Whitcomb,  Harry Lee,  Harley Forrar  and  Manford Handley.
          Friends may call at the late home, 1103 Elm street, at any time.
          Police said that the two youths who were injured stepped in front of the Osborne auto as the car had just been driven across Broadway after having received the "go" signal.  Osborne was held blameless for the accident.
          Pile suffered a broken leg and severe bruises and lacerations while Campbell had severe lacerations about the head and bruises.  Both youths were reported as being in satisfactory condition at the hospital last night.  Osborne told police that he was traveling less than 20 miles per hour when the accident occurred.  Pile was rushed to the Major hospital in the C. F. Fix & Son ambulance, while Campbell was taken to the hospital in the police car.
Contributed by Phyllis Miller Fleming

Obituary Index       Main Page

For current email addresses of researchers listed above, use Surname Index